Re: [WarOf1812] Question re: Dueling Pistols

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2000
      In a message dated 8/31/2000 9:18:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
      justin@... writes:

      << Has anyone heard of a double barreled (side by side)dueling pistol?
      The Grange, a historic house in Toronto, has a pair of these pistols
      on display along with their original box. The pistols are
      percussion cap and have a double trigger (one behind the other), the
      barrells are no more than 8 inches long, the stock is very plain
      looking. I do not know if there is any type of rifling down the
      barrel. My feeling is that they are military pistols, due to the
      absolute lack of ornamentation, and that they are double barreled.
      can't use the percussion cap mechanisim to date the piece as it may
      be
      a later modification to a flint lock. >>

      If they are double barreled they are not dueling pistols, possibly traveling
      pistols. Rifling might be another clue as duleler should not be rifled, and
      if they were the first few inches of the barrel would be left smooth so that
      if someone put their finger in to check they would not feel the rifling.

      The royal Horse Artillery rocket troop carried double barreled pistols which
      is, I think, the only military example of their use. You should be able to
      tell if they have been converted as the lock configuration is different and
      the conversion requires at least 2 holes in the lockplate to be filled in,
      even expertly done one can detect it.