musket charges

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 1998

      Anything between 100 and 120 grains is going to give you and the crowd a
      satisfying boom. I can not attest to anything over 100 grains being a waste
      as I have seen no evidence to support or refute this but I do know that it
      is a waste to overload the barrel.

      With regards to ever achieving the same sound as a live fire... that is
      impossible without something much larger than a paper wad down the tube. A
      blank has a boom sound as opposed to the very tell-tale crack of a live
      round.

      As to your misunderstanding of placing the wad in the barrel... we only
      drop the wad down the barrel after we have loaded the weapon. How fouled
      your barrel is dictates how far the wad slides down but it is never rammed
      (unless it's the first round). The wad has no bearing at all on the sound
      as there is no significant weight to it. We only place the paper down
      because we deem it to be safer (refer to my novel on safety for
      clarification) and until we receive proof to the contrary on this we will
      continue with this practice.

      Also who ever wants to waste that extra bit of powder left over from a
      re-prime. Besides everyone just thinks it's McMeekin anyway...

      Cpl. Sean Hirst
      Royal Newfoundland Reg't, Lt. Coy
      945-0591