request

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2000
      David,

      please format your messages so
      they are easier to read.

      It isn't so bad for us now, but when
      searching the Archives of this eGroup
      later it is a dog's breakfast.

      Thank you

      (2nd posting)

      Larry Lozon
      Assistant Moderator
      WarOf1812 eGroup

      -----Original Message-----
      From: David Bennett <ebclemson@...>
      To: WarOf1812@egroups.com
      Date: Monday, August 07, 2000 12:22 AM
      Subject: [WarOf1812] Re: 'Fair' history, was Naval Battles

      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, JGIL1812@a... wrote:> America at the time did not stretch "beyond" the Mississippi and the Indian > wars are well into the future.<SNIP- Excuse me, I would believe that everyone who lived in the MISSOURI TERRITORY and the LOUISIANA TERRITORY would argue that America did not stretch "beyond" the Mississippi. The 1st U.S., the 7th U.S. and 24th U.S. along with Missouri and illinois Rangers all FOUGHT in the Missouri Territory and up and down the Mississippi River. Fort Madison was built in present day Iowa, and Fort Osage was built about 30 miles from Kansas City Missouri. The Indian Wars were NOT IN THE FUTURE, they were in the present before and after the "War of 1812".The Iowa, the Sauk and Fox, Miami, Winnebagos, Potowatomie all fought in INDIAN WARS ON THE WEST SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI during the War of 1812. Peace was not established WEST of the Mississippi till 1816.> I think that most Americans at the end of the > war would be more interested in the impact peace would have in their neck of > the woods and NOT be worried about those in the south or north, whichever the > case may have been.<SNIP- Untrue. Just by reading the newspapers, it is very clear, that Kentuckians were concerned about what happend in New Orleans and even Florida. The people of Missouri and Illinois territories were concerned what occurred in New England, in Tennesee,the great Lakes and New Orleans. Those states all sent flatboats loaded with their cash crops down the Ohio and Mississippi to New Orleans. > It is the old "me first" routine that always rules. JG/RE <SNIP- It is not wise to GENERALIZE. There are always individuals who may think that. The War of 1812 awakened a National Pride, a National Patriotism. Sincerely, David Bennett

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 5, 2003
        I have been requested to circulate this request.

        Please contact Peter Rindlisbacher direct as
        he is not a subscriber of this War of 1812
        Yahoo Group. He can be emailed at:
        pjrindli@...

        Larry Lozon