Re: [WarOf1812] Naval Battles, Lakes & Atlantic

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 11:23 AM
      Rob:
      Two excellent books are:
      Robert Malcolmson, Lords of the Lake: The Naval War on Lake Ontario 1812-1814. Toronto: Robin Bass Studio, 1998,
      and a re-issue in paperback:
      D.C. Skaggs, G.T. Altoff, A Signal Victory: The Lake Erie Campaign 1812-1813. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1997.
      Both are highly readable, and fair,
      Hope this helps,
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st

    • JGIL1812@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 4:17 PM
        ray.hobbs@... writes:

        << Both are highly readable, and fair,
        Hope this helps, >>

        Ray,

        Something unusual struck me in your answer to Rob's request. Both of the
        books that you suggest are "modern day" accounts looking through eyes that
        are basically sharing a "modern day" version of the war. Can you think of a
        version possible 50 to 100 years old that may offer the same balanced
        perspective? I suspect the answer is no.

        That begs me to ask, is our current view on the war really the right view on
        the war? How do we make this judgment without also reading all of those books
        that "we' think are slanted to the 'other sides view point'?

        History has always been accepted and written from a personal viewpoint. How
        many truly "fair' books are there out there? How do we decide as re-enactors?

        Just a thought.

        JG/RE
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 4:39 PM
          In a message dated 8/1/2000 6:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
          JGIL1812@... writes:

          << That begs me to ask, is our current view on the war really the right view
          on
          the war? How do we make this judgment without also reading all of those
          books
          that "we' think are slanted to the 'other sides view point'?

          History has always been accepted and written from a personal viewpoint. How
          many truly "fair' books are there out there? How do we decide as re-enactors?

          What an excellent point John. I know that sometimes people can be happier
          with their view of what they thing history should be rather than reading
          contemporary first hand accounts and finding out how it was!
          On the uniform pictures from one of the best known modern illustrators of our
          period, he will insist on showing seams down the lapel backs of British
          officers uniforms!

        • Walt Dubbeld
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 7:07 PM
            Interesting point,---however , I didn't see any alternative sources !!
            remember ," History is written by the victors" ---don't know who said that,
            but it always makes a person stop and re-evaluate what you just read
            food for thought.
            Walt
            > In a message dated 8/1/00 3:25:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
            > ray.hobbs@... writes:
            >
            > << Both are highly readable, and fair,
            > Hope this helps, >>
            >
            > Ray,
            >
            > Something unusual struck me in your answer to Rob's request. Both of the
            > books that you suggest are "modern day" accounts looking through eyes that
            > are basically sharing a "modern day" version of the war. Can you think of
            > version possible 50 to 100 years old that may offer the same balanced
            > perspective? I suspect the answer is no.
            >
            > That begs me to ask, is our current view on the war really the right view
            on
            > the war? How do we make this judgment without also reading all of those
            books
            > that "we' think are slanted to the 'other sides view point'?
            >
            > History has always been accepted and written from a personal viewpoint.
            How
            > many truly "fair' books are there out there? How do we decide as
            re-enactors?

            > Just a thought.
            >

            > JG/RE

            square miles...