Re: [WarOf1812] Naval Battles, Lakes & Atlantic

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
      Rob:
      Two excellent books are:
      Robert Malcolmson, Lords of the Lake: The Naval War on Lake Ontario 1812-1814. Toronto: Robin Bass Studio, 1998,
      and a re-issue in paperback:
      D.C. Skaggs, G.T. Altoff, A Signal Victory: The Lake Erie Campaign 1812-1813. Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1997.
      Both are highly readable, and fair,
      Hope this helps,
      Ray Hobbs
      1/41st

      Rob Taylor wrote:

      > Hello list:
      > I was wondering if anyone could tell me
      > the names of some good books that told the stories of
      > the naval battles in the War of 1812. Books that were
      > accurate and fair to both sides. I am interested in
      > all naval battles from the Atlantic to the fresh water
      > lakes.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Rob Taylor

      > http://invites.yahoo.com/

    • Roger Fuller
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
        Rob,

        I just put in a TXT file on the "Files" section of OneList/War of 1812 of a
        bibliography of 1812 book and article titles I've found on the Internet-
        hope it helps

        Roger
        3/95th (Rifles)

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
          ray.hobbs@... writes:

          << Both are highly readable, and fair,
          Hope this helps, >>

          Ray,

          Something unusual struck me in your answer to Rob's request. Both of the
          books that you suggest are "modern day" accounts looking through eyes that
          are basically sharing a "modern day" version of the war. Can you think of a
          version possible 50 to 100 years old that may offer the same balanced
          perspective? I suspect the answer is no.

          That begs me to ask, is our current view on the war really the right view on
          the war? How do we make this judgment without also reading all of those books
          that "we' think are slanted to the 'other sides view point'?

          History has always been accepted and written from a personal viewpoint. How
          many truly "fair' books are there out there? How do we decide as re-enactors?

          Just a thought.

          JG/RE
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
            In a message dated 8/1/2000 6:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time,
            JGIL1812@... writes:

            << That begs me to ask, is our current view on the war really the right view
            on
            the war? How do we make this judgment without also reading all of those
            books
            that "we' think are slanted to the 'other sides view point'?

            History has always been accepted and written from a personal viewpoint. How
            many truly "fair' books are there out there? How do we decide as re-enactors?

            What an excellent point John. I know that sometimes people can be happier
            with their view of what they thing history should be rather than reading
            contemporary first hand accounts and finding out how it was!
            On the uniform pictures from one of the best known modern illustrators of our
            period, he will insist on showing seams down the lapel backs of British
            officers uniforms!

          • Walt Dubbeld
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2000
              Interesting point,---however , I didn't see any alternative sources !!
              remember ," History is written by the victors" ---don't know who said that,
              but it always makes a person stop and re-evaluate what you just read
              food for thought.
              Walt
              > In a message dated 8/1/00 3:25:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              > ray.hobbs@... writes:
              >
              > << Both are highly readable, and fair,
              > Hope this helps, >>
              >
              > Ray,
              >
              > Something unusual struck me in your answer to Rob's request. Both of the
              > books that you suggest are "modern day" accounts looking through eyes that
              > are basically sharing a "modern day" version of the war. Can you think of
              > version possible 50 to 100 years old that may offer the same balanced
              > perspective? I suspect the answer is no.
              >
              > That begs me to ask, is our current view on the war really the right view
              on
              > the war? How do we make this judgment without also reading all of those
              books
              > that "we' think are slanted to the 'other sides view point'?
              >
              > History has always been accepted and written from a personal viewpoint.
              How
              > many truly "fair' books are there out there? How do we decide as
              re-enactors?

              > Just a thought.
              >

              > JG/RE

              square miles...