Re: [WarOf1812] 41st RegIment Button

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
      Sounds like an ACW button to me. The 41st, AFAIK, were only in Canada and
      nowhere near New Orleans or Maryland. I doubt any British infantry OR's wore
      brass buttons in this period. And I doubt it was before 1812, as the 41st
      had been an invalids regiment until at least the late 18th century and had
      no cause to go to the USA. After 1812? The only prison camp involving the
      British on Ile Dauphin would have been the British keeping the American
      enlisted men of the surrendered US Fort Bowyer captive for a few days until
      they learned of the Treaty of Ghent. Only the 4th, 21st and 44th Foot (and
      some RMs?) were involved in its capture. I don't think the Americans took
      any prisoners in the abortive attack a couple of months before when the HMS
      Hermes was sunk and the attack was called off.

      The 40th were at the Battle of New Orleans- (well, on the transports,
      anyway) that is the closest numbered regiment. Maybe the seller or buyer had
      the two regt's. confused.

      Re the button: the buyer sounds like the occasional emailer or caller I get
      who says, "I have an original 95th Rifles button". "Oh, really?", says I,
      "What does it look like?" It always turns out to be a Sherwood Foresters'
      button from the late 19th century (they took over the Rifle Corps' place in
      the line when the latter were taken out of the line and re-styled the Rifle
      Brigade) or some sort of USA/CSA button. I haven't heard of any provably
      authentic Rifles button from 1800-1815 still extant.

      Yep, he got rooked. Caveat emptor.

      Roger
      3/95th

      I also have the same problem with a
      >>54th British Regimental also dug on that island.

      Probably RevWar, but I'd have to check on that one. AFAIK, they were only
      with Cornwallis at Cape Fear. They could have been from prisoners of war?

      My question is how a

    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        In a message dated 8/1/2000 10:49:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
        fullerfamily@... writes:

        << Sounds like an ACW button to me. The 41st, AFAIK, were only in Canada and
        nowhere near New Orleans or Maryland. I doubt any British infantry OR's wore
        brass buttons in this period. >>

        Until the Crimean War other ranks buttons were pewter. As has already been
        stated officers were either plated gold or silver.