41st RegIment Button

  • JimYaworsky Chairperson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      >From: "Carroll J. Delery III" <C.J.Delery@...>
      >To: the41stregt@...
      >Subject: 41st RegIment
      >Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:19:57 -0500
      >
      >Hi- I noticed with interest your site on the 41st British Rehiment that
      >served in the War of 1812. I am a collector of items relating to the
      >Battle of New Orleans-especially buttons used by Regiments here at New
      >Orleans. I recently purchased a brass button from the 41st British
      >Regiment that was excavated at Dauphin Isle, Ala. with another British
      >Regimentals. The 41st done not match up with the Regiments that served
      >at New Orleans and later moved to Dauphine Isle after the British
      >evacuated New Orleans. Yet the button comes from an old collection dug
      >on the small island off Mobile Bay. I also have the same problem with a
      >54th British Regimental also dug on that island. My question is how a
      >button from the 41st wound up on Dauphin Isle when according to your
      >site they stayed up East until they were sent back to Britain in late
      >1814. Could there have been some detached members of the 41st that came
      >down from Maryland with troops joining up with the fleet from England ?
      >These are my two mystery buttons...Thanks for your help...Cary Delery

      Jim Yaworsky adds:
      I can say with pretty fair certainty that no detachment of the 41st had
      anything to do with operations on the U.S. east coast or the expedition
      against New Orleans. It does occur to me that there might have been a
      prisoner of war camp at Dauphin Is. Alabama? I've already responded to Cary
      to the effect that NCO & other rank 41st buttons were of pewter & officers'
      buttons were of silver to 1812, and gold thereafter... Looks to me like he
      might have been "ripped off"...

      Jim