Re: [WarOf1812] Bandalores ( aka Yo-Yos)

  • John-Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2000
      Larry Lozon wrote:

      > Since they are questioning the yo-yo for the
      > American Revolutionary War, I wondered if
      > any one on this list knew if they were played
      > with during our time period?
      >

      > >On a web site with the history of yo-yos, it mentioned an existing
      > >period painting of Lafayette's troops playing with the darn things. Has
      > >anyone ever seen such a picture? It almost sounds like a hoax.
      > >
      > >Yo-Yo ...er, Bandalore purveyor-to-be (maybe)

      Okey dokey. According to the History of the Yo Yo site
      (http://www.hpkmarketing.com/ddd_web/yo_history.html), the part of Yo-yo
      history you are interested is:

      "Yo-yos were popular in France. A painting dated 1789 shows the 4
      year-old, future King Louis XVII holding his l'emigrette. L'emigrette,
      which means to 'leave the country,' referred to how the French
      aristocracy fled the country during the French Revolution-they fled
      with their yo-yos made of glass and ivory.

      In 1866 in the United States, two men from Ohio patented an invention
      called 'an improved bandalore.' "Bandalore" is a French word used by the
      English to identify the toy. In 1867, Charles Kirchof patented and
      manufactured the 'return wheel.'"

      (Aren't search engines WONDERFUL?)

      Interpret it as you will....

      J-P Johnson