Re: Safety

  • NINETY3RD@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 4, 1998
      In a message dated 04/11/1998 3:18:32 PM, stein wrote:

      >From: stein@... (Stein)
      >
      >Dear 1812's,
      >
      > Apart from having as good a public liability insurance as can be
      >obtained - and here in West Australia the only insurance company that was
      >prepared to offer a policy did so because the salesmen had actually
      >participated in black powder reenactment with the RAN in 1988 - we have
      >found that there are a couple of small things that ease over awkward spots
      >on the field.
      >
      > It seems inevitable that someone is going to be shot. I mean -
      >haven't we all done it at some time or other. You take aim at the enemy,
      >pull the trigger, and get that solid thump in the shoulder that tells you
      >there was a ball in the barrel rather than just a blank charge. At this
      >point there are several things to do.
      >
      >1. Apply Dencorub to the shgoulder to prevent a bruise forming. Heparin
      >also works but it spreads the bruise. Consider getting one of those plastic
      >shoulder pads that the shotgunners use and sewing it into your uniform.
      >
      >2. Remove the shooting victim from the field using a period stretcher.
      >Nothing looks farbier than a gurney bouncing over a poughed field. When in
      >doubt - drag.
      >
      >3. Remove the outer clothing near the wound carefully.
      >
      >4. Prop up the victim carefully on a pile of newspapers.
      >
      >5. Remove the ball carefully with a pair of long-nose pliers. They
      can't
      > do forensic tests on it if they can't find it. You may be able to
      pass
      > the whole thing off as an insect bite that was ignored.
      >
      >6. If anyone asks who did it say Benton Jennings. And point vaguely
      back
      > to where the troops are milling.
      >
      >7. Ease on back to the car and quietly drive away.
      >

      > Of course you will have to apologise to the organisers of the event
      >for leaving early but you can do this the next day with a bread-and-butter
      >letter and they seem to take it with a fair degree of philosophy. As a side
      >note I see that Benton Jennings is now wanted in 2 states of Australia - I
      >don't think the pictures in the post office do him justice, though.
      >
      > Cheers....Dick Stein

      As usual (if you subscribed to the newslist out of OZ you would know) Dr Dick
      is quite right. I for one already knew to carry the needle nose pliers in my
      haversack.
      As I am already confirmed as criminally insane, I am blamed for incidents I am
      not even in attendance at. Take Gettysburg and that Frog with the pistol --
      all my fault now of course, and here I was tucked away in California at the
      time...
      And Ned Kelley had nothing on me, blue!
      ahahahahahahaha!!!
      Benton
    • Anne Woodley
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 5, 1998
        I thought there might be a bit of (vague?) interest from this list for the
        chapters of the Harry Smith Autobiography(of the 95th) that cover the 1812
        war - so I have blithely skipped a few chapters of his life and just put up
        chapters 19-23 - I think the America's campaign actually start from Chapter
        20. you can link to the other chapters from each page but in case you
        wanted here are the 5 urls.

        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/Harrysmith19.html

        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/Harrysmith20.html

        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/Harrysmith21.html

        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/Harrysmith22.html

        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/Harrysmith23.html

        I would just like to point out that Benton Jennings (pointing vaguely
        here) was in charge of the footnote accuracy, so there may be a few minor
        glitches still there. If there is some remaining problems then contact me
        (Benton will never get round to fixing it) and just note that the footnotes
        are at the bottom of the page.

        By the way - I've been really interested to here the discussion on the
        muskets and guns. All accounts that I have read (which admittedly isn't as
        wide as some of you) point to their huge inaccuracy. I think some of the
        people who have discussed it later have talked about the fear factor
        influencing aim, loading etc and also that the guns jammed with heat/dirt
        etc. Even stocks swelling so they were unusable. But it is all second hand
        knowledge to me - the most lethal weapon I have held in my hand is a tin
        opener so it is fascinating to hear how they work, and the pros and cons of
        using of them in different ways - its a lot nearer than some remote uniform
        200 years ago.

        Regards

        Anne
      • NINETY3RD@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 5, 1998
          In a message dated 05/11/1998 12:17:08 AM, awoodley@... wrote:

          >I would just like to point out that Benton Jennings (pointing vaguely
          >here) was in charge of the footnote accuracy, so there may be a few minor
          >glitches still there. If there is some remaining problems then contact me
          >(Benton will never get round to fixing it) and just note that the footnotes
          >are at the bottom of the page.

          What? What? What?
          I was? Am? Where? When?
          ;-)
        • IX Regt.
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 6, 1998
            Excellent, thanks for the advice, the spelling of Benton's name is
            correct, can we give his address?

            Pioneer Peter
            IX Regt. (UK)

            --
            IX Regt.
          • stein@xxxxxxx.xxx.xxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 6, 1998
              Dear Pioneer Peter,

              Yes, that is the way Benton spells his name. I believe he is
              somewhere in California becoming a movie star. While this may seem an
              ambitious hope for most of us, Benton probably will succeed. I wonder if
              they still have the old casting couches in the directors' private offices?

              Dr. Dick

              ***********************************

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 7, 1998
                In a message dated 06/11/1998 11:18:47 AM, ixreg@... wrote:

                >Excellent, thanks for the advice, the spelling of Benton's name is
                >correct, can we give his address?
                >
                >Pioneer Peter
                >IX Regt. (UK)
                >>From: stein@... (Stein)
                >>
                >>Dear 1812's,
                <snip>
                >> It seems inevitable that someone is going to be shot. I mean -
                >>haven't we all done it at some time or other. You take aim at the enemy,
                >>pull the trigger, and get that solid thump in the shoulder that tells you
                >>there was a ball in the barrel rather than just a blank charge. At this
                >>point there are several things to do.
                <snip>
                >>6. If anyone asks who did it say Benton Jennings. And point vaguely
                back
                >> to where the troops are milling.
                >>
                >>7. Ease on back to the car and quietly drive away.
                >>
                >> Of course you will have to apologise to the organisers of the event
                >>for leaving early but you can do this the next day with a bread-and-butter
                >>letter and they seem to take it with a fair degree of philosophy. As a side
                >>note I see that Benton Jennings is now wanted in 2 states of Australia - I
                >>don't think the pictures in the post office do him justice, though.

                If needs be, I can send a crate of autographed 8x10 headshots to distribute to
                the amazed public, which will include an address and rates for joining my Fan
                Club --- I'll become rich and famous one way or another.....
                ;-)
                Cheers!
                Benton
                P.S. Only give out the address of my publicist...L.A. is weird enough as it
                is.
              • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 4 7:13 PM
                  I have been talking about simple safety rules. How about something
                  like this?

                  Bayonets will not be fixed when in opposing situations.

                  Ramrods will not be used in loading in opposing situations.

                  No objects of any kind can be thrown in opposing situations.

                  Opposing lines/units/individuals will not fire within 30 yards (or
                  whatever) of their opposition.

                  Opposing lines/units/individuals will not come closer than 5 yards
                  (or whatever) from their opposition.

                  Physical contact will not occur between individuals unless previously
                  ageed by the individuals.

                  Cartridge will be stored centrally by units between demos/battles and
                  not carried around by individuals.

                  Hey, there may be a few more, but doesn't this cover the basics?

                  Doug
                • chimera1@sympatico.ca
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 17 5:54 PM
                    Are there any site/event administrators on or monitoring this site? -
                    and if so what might be your opinions? Doug
                  • colsjtjones2000@yahoo.ca
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 11, 2001
                      During one of the Stoney Creek battles, a front rank man in the unit
                      immediately to my right was consistently misfiring. In frustration,
                      he shoved himself back and physically shoved his rear rank file
                      partner into the front. A pace and a half back, he went to work on
                      his lock, with the muzzle hovering and almost touching the front rank
                      man's neck. So intent was he, that I am sure he had no idea where
                      his muzzle was. His work seemed to have no effect, so he soon died a
                      dramatic death (perhaps overdue).

                      Proper drill would have had him remain in position as he worked on
                      his lock. If he had to remove himself to the rear rank, he should
                      have remained in the locked up position, so that his muzzle was
                      safely forward of the front rank.

                      Doug