Re: Digest Number 4 (and Organizations)

  • James Burrill
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 1998
      Hi List,
      Larry has a good point.

      Just what organizations are there in North America involved with
      1812/Napoleonic?

      I know of:

      North American British Brigade run by Tim Pickles and Benton Jennings.
      Brigade Napoleon (French forces) run by Bill Teefy
      The Royal Marines, 21st Foot and HMS Severn in the Cheasapeake with Ed
      Seufert acting as interim coordinator.(I don't know
      if they have a formal name. The RMs are also
      members of the NABB

      Who else is out there and who is the point of contact?

      Larry, what multi-unit organizations are active in Canada? Are there
      any organizations for the US 1812 forces?

      It would also be a fine thing if we could start a roster of individual
      units and their POCs regardless of organization.

      TTFN
      Jim.
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 1998
        James;
        We first of all have to be careful
        the term "1812/Napolionic" ??????????
        I know ........ I know .......!?!?!?!
        but we have to realize a lot of re-enactors
        out there think the war fought in the Americas
        is "Napolionic" .......
        Also a lot of units that portray American Forces
        seem to shy away from that word "Napolionic" !!!!
        SOOOOOOoooooooooooo If we want to say,
        1812 American War
        and
        1812 Napolionic (European Campaign)
        then I would say that all units portraying
        British or Canadian/British have been invited to
        participate first of all in Waterloo 1990, 1995, and 2000.
        Now if they went or wanted to is another question.
        Also in Baltimore and Gettysburg at the "Napolionic"
        events (European Campaigns re-created in the Americas)
        And the one coming up at Ft. York in Toronto, Canada
        the middle of May 1999,
        I was informed that the organizers have invited all the Brits they
        could and have invited the units portraying American forces to
        come and play as Dutch/Belgiums.

        The North American British Brigade has been in existence
        for some time and I understand it is by invitation only.
        Now that most Brit groups are coming up to standard more
        and more are being invited to join. At Waterloo Tim Pickles
        is the British Commander and at all large North American
        events Tim is commander as well. Benton Jennings has always
        (to my knowledge) been 2IC. Benton is also over all commander of the
        Highland Brigade Worldwide. This group of Highland regiments to
        my knowledge also are members of the NABB.
        The Multi unit organization in Canada is 1BNAR
        (1st British North American Regiment) with members also in the USA,
        but to the best of my
        knowledge, owes it's allegiance to NABB.
        Maybe Tim Pickles, Benton Jennings and Steve Hartwich
        could fill us in on this.
        We also have a truck load of 1812 re-enactors in the
        southern US who travel up to Canada and Mid America to
        events, but as far as "Napolionic" maybe Steve Abolt, Officer
        Commanding the 7th US Infantry could respond.

        Respectfully submitted,
        Larry A. Lozon lalozon@...

        ----------

      • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 1998
          In a message dated 02/11/1998 12:26:44 PM, lalozon@... wrote:

          >The North American British Brigade has been in existence
          >
          >for some time and I understand it is by invitation only.

          Well I don't know where this tidbit got started, but it is completely wrong!
          (sorry, Larry!)
          As I mentioned in another post, for going on about 4 years the NABB has openly
          invited and asked for input from any and everyone. I made numerous suggestions
          and sent out questionaires years ago to all I could find to see what others
          thought, what they wanted, what could be done. I suggested a committee set up
          of representatives from every unit and said committee would sort things out,
          decide on field commanders, suggest accreditation processes, etc. Most of the
          response, until fairly recently, has been stone cold silence. So if there was
          any "by invitation only" going on - it was in reaction to NABB! ;-)
          Perhaps there is confusion with this over the fact that the Waterloo 2000
          event is "by invitation only". The NA and ENF are doing this not to be any
          kind of toffee-nosed-elitist-fest, but rather it is an attempt to create a
          standard of safety and quality for the event. If anyone still has some sort of
          prob with that, then take a look at the requirements for attending such as
          Mississinewa 1812!

          >>Benton is also over all commander of the

          Highland Brigade Worldwide. This group of Highland regiments to

          my knowledge also are members of the NABB.<<

          Well now, it would not make much sense for the 42nd of Australia to be members
          of the North America British Brigade now would it? ;-)
          (sorry again Larry!)
          The World Wide Highland Brigade is its own creature. We call it a "Non-
          Association" of associated units. Some units belong matter of existing. By
          being "Highland" of the Napoleonic era, one is automatically a member with
          friends and comrades literally around the globe. There are no dues, no
          applications. All strive to be accurate and recruit new members and to help
          one another achieve these goals. The WWHBrigade just "is". It's a Zen
          thing....
          ;-)

          I hope that clarifies a little butter here....
          Cheers!
          Major Foul-Up B. Jennings
          93rd, NABB, WWHB, SOB
        • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 1998
            Well, it seems the email machine may have cut out part of my message!

            So here is the full text of the possible goof up, just in case!

            >>>The World Wide Highland Brigade is its own creature. We call it a "Non-
            Association" of associated units. Some units belong to the N.A., some to NABB
            (such as the 93rd) some to both and some to none! Belonging to the WWHB is
            simply a matter of existing. By being "Highland" of the Napoleonic era, one is