Steppler Articles: British Coattee Information

  • Jim Yaworsky
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 1999
      Glen Steppler wrote an article which appeared in installments in three issues of Military Illustrated, no.'s 20, 21, and 22, the last of which appeared in December 1989/January 1990. Basically, Steppler (who rose out of the ranks of Parks Canada) located & examined every surviving British private's coattee of the period 1808-1815 - and there weren't many of them! By examining the surviving examples (most of which it appears were never actually "issued" out of stores, so are not in bad condition) and analyzing their construction in conjunction with the Clothing Regulations, the Pearce lace pattern books, etc., he produced what will probably be the definitive single source of information for REDCOAT coattees of those years i.e. there are no greenjackets.... The articles are well illustrated, there is a pattern, and basically, they give the kinds of detail those who wish to fabricate a coattee would need to know.
      The Canadian distributors of Military Illustrated at the time, Vanwell Books, sold off their supply of backissues a few years back & I picked up a bunch of these issues, along with the "special" Waterloo '90 issue that featured facings, beltplates, buttons, lace patterns etc. for "Waterloo" regiments. Anyone who wants to pay the exorbitant price I will extract to forward copies to you is welcome to "e" me off-list. First come, first served, limited supply available, & all that...

      Jim