new member

  • Walt Dubbeld
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 11, 2000
      Hi,all
      Walt Dubbeld here
      I am the Sgt. of the 1st. U.S. Light Artillery based in Ft. Wayne In.
      I've met many of you at Mississinewa or have known some longer than we care to admit !!
      So far the info has been informative, aggravating, and sometimes downright silly -- I love it!!!!
      Thanks, Walt

    • manipi@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 11, 2000
        --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "Walt Dubbeld" <biggun@c...> wrote:
        > Hi,all
        > Walt Dubbeld here
        > I am the Sgt. of the 1st. U.S. Light Artillery based in Ft. Wayne
        In.
        > I've met many of you at Mississinewa or have known some longer than
        we care to admit !!
        > So far the info has been informative, aggravating, and sometimes
        downright silly -- I love it!!!!
        > Thanks, Walt

        Greetings and Welcome!

        If this is the same Walt that used to live in Minnesota? Yahoo!
        Good
        to see you online. I just joined a few days ago and I've seen lots
        of
        my 1812 compatriots. This is just grand!!!

        Welcome aboard and we'll see you at Mississinewa again.

        Regards,

        Tom Lawrence
      • captainmacdonough <ggalloway5@aol.com>
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2002
          Dear War of 1812 members:

          My name is George Galloway and I'm a new member to this list. I am
          not a reenactor but I do have an abiding interest in the War of 1812
          and in American history in general. I'm a former history teacher who
          is currently researching a novel on the American Revolutionary War.
          This book is the second in a family trilogy. The first was set in
          Baltimore in 1812, the third will be set in the American Civil War.
          Since you already have an enthusiasm for American history I ask
          members for information on the following: French interest and
          intrigue for an invasion of Ireland in the late 18th and early 19th
          century; public and private opinion in Ireland of both American Wars
          for Independence; and any tidbit of interest on John Paul Jones,
          Lafayette, Washington, Steuben, de Grasse, Rochambeau, Nathanael
          Greene, Daniel Morgan, John Barry, Alexander Hamilton, Benedict
          Arnold, and Lord Cornwallis.
          I write to educate as well as entertain and your help would be deeply
          appreciated.
          George Galloway
        • BritcomHMP@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 29, 2002
            In a message dated 12/29/2002 6:32:42 PM Central Standard Time,
            ggalloway5@... writes:

            > I ask
            > members for information on the following: French interest and
            > intrigue for an invasion of Ireland in the late 18th and early 19th
            > century;

            A little ti-bit that might be of interest, the commander of the French troops
            in Ireland during 'The Year of the French' was one Joseph Amiable Humbert and
            when he was defeated at the battle of Ballinamuck one of the British officers
            was a young lieutenant of the 26th Light Dragoons fighting his first action,
            one Edward Michael Pakenham. In 1814-15 this same Humbert was a French
            observer on the staff of Major General Andrew Jackson. Thus Humbert was
            present at Pakenham's first and last action.

            Cheers and welcome to the list,

          • va_hstry
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6 10:20 AM
              Good Day to all!
              Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Rob Friar, I am a member
              of the 2nd Va. Regiment of militia, 1813, based out of Fort Norfolk
              in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.
              I look forward to reading and joining in on discusions concerning
              this period, and hope to learn alot, as my primary interest and
              knowledge is of the Revolutionary war era.
              Rob Friar
              2nd Va. Regt. of militia
            • barrymacgregor
              Message 6 of 12 , May 24, 2005
                List

                I will just ask a moment of your time to introduce myself. This is my
                second year re-enacting and for the most part my wife and I have
                enjoyed the hobby. There are many great people we have come to know
                and it is a real learning experience for my children. We are only
                able to make it to a few events each year but truly enjoy the
                historical debates but not the politics.

                My family and I are members of the much discussed native group 2 and
                rather than add to the fray of e-mails might I suggest you drop by and
                get to know us. As to the discussion of threats, I agree this issue
                should be turned over to the police and brought to an end once and for
                all.

                Regards

                Barry MacGregor
              • gjoria
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 18, 2007
                  I'm a model maker and hobbyist interested in the War of 1812. I'm
                  hoping this forum will provide useful information as I work on a
                  variety of miniatures and simulations for educational and recreational
                  purposes. Thanks.
                  gj
                • Ron Malmgren
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
                    I am Ron Malmgren a long time 18th century reenactor, both F&I and AWI.
                    The 8th Pa. Regt., Ft. Laurens detachment(BAR) is taking on a War of
                    1812 impression, ie. Brush's Co., Ohio Militia. In addition an ancestor
                    was Capt. Isaac Lynn, Fayette Co.,Pa. Militia. His company served
                    aboard Com. Perry's fleet during the Battle of Lake Erie. I would like
                    to learn more about the war especially in the West and the role and
                    equipage of the militia.
                    Ron Malmgren
                  • John Ogden
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
                      Hi, Ron. Welcome aboard.

                      --
                      John J. Ogden

                      Madison, June 20, 1785

                      "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense,
                      founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of
                      enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and, as the
                      said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any
                      Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising
                      from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony
                      existing between the two countries." -- Article 11 of the Treaty of Peace
                      and Friendship between the United States and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli
                      of Barbary, 3 Junad 1211 (Muslim calendar), 4 November 1796 C.E..

                    • LCpl_rm
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 31, 2008
                        Ron,

                        Welcome to 1812!

                        Please let folks know where you and you're unit are from. There are plenty of people on this list who will be willing to assist.

                        Cheers,

                        Ed Seufert, Cpl
                        1812 Royal Marines

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
                          Thanks, Ed. Not realizing the the preapproval on messages from I double
                          posted my introduction in which I mentioned that I am from Washington,
                          Pa. My unit as I said is forming Brush's Company, Ohio Militia. This is
                          a spin off of the 8th Pennsylvania, Ft. Laurens detachment (BAR) based
                          out of Canton, Ohio. We are basing our impression on the original
                          information published by The Company of Military Historians. If anyone
                          has the plate that accompanied that article, I would greatly appreciate
                          a copy.
                          Thank you,
                          Ron Malmgren
                          Brush's Co. Ohio Militia

                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "LCpl_rm" <LCpl_RM@...> wrote:

                          > Ron,
                          >
                          > Welcome to 1812!
                          >
                          > Please let folks know where you and you're unit are from. There are
                          plenty of people on this list who will be willing to assist.

                          > Cheers,
                          >
                          > Ed Seufert, Cpl
                          > 1812 Royal Marines

                        • Ron Malmgren
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 1, 2008
                            --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, "John Ogden" <johnjogden@...> wrote:

                            > Hi, Ron. Welcome aboard.
                            >
                            >Thanks, John. As John and I are both from Southwestern Pennsylvania we
                            have been members of the same units at times and it is nice to read
                            greetings from a friend.
                            We just opened our Washington Co. Historical Society's Frontier History
                            Center in Washington, Pa. this past Saturday. We had twenty fellow
                            reenactors including John and myself portraying a Virginia militia unit
                            of 1777. Although the weather was rainy, especially in the morning, we
                            had about 60 visitors. We have built a typical frontier refuge fort in
                            the backcountry of Virginia/Pennsylvania. It consists of a blockhouse
                            built of logs from a local 1790 double pen log barn and a square hewn
                            log house (of about the same vintage) joined by a palisade. There are
                            also several small outbuildings of new logs and in the future more will
                            be added to the 22 acre sight. Also under the WCHS lease, adjacent in
                            the park is a relocated two story 1840's log house, we use for meetings
                            and educational programs. We plan on conducting monthly public
                            educational visits manned with local reenactor volunteers and hopefully
                            two larger events each year to include reenacting units.
                            More on this later, if there is interest.
                            Thanks again for the welcome,
                            Ron Malmgren