Re: [WarOf1812] IMUC Mascot?

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5 4:36 PM
      --- james barnwell <barnlll@...> wrote:
      > Since 1812 is too early to say Mountie or even Yukon
      > King, How about Tecumseh?
      > --- Len Heidebrecht <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:
      > > What would be the mascot of the Incorporated
      > > Militia of Upper Canada? Oh, no ... this is just
      > too
      > > precious ... Someone please... nominate a mascot
      > :^)
      > > Len
      > > --

      Maggie Trudeau???

      Fitz

      > > -
      > >

      > > HotBot - Search smarter.
      > > http://www.hotbot.com

      > Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo!
      > Messenger.
      > http://im.yahoo.com/

      =====
      Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

      "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

      "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 5 4:41 PM
        Hey I resemble those 350lbs!!!!
        --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

        > --- JGIL1812@... wrote:
        > > In a message dated 7/5/00 3:33:30 PM Pacific
        > > Daylight Time,
        > > lheidebrecht@... writes:
        > >
        > > << Someone please... nominate a mascot :^)
        > > Len >>
        >

        > A 350 lb Quebecer?? ;-)
        >
        > fitz
        >

        > > Len... I think YOU should start the ball rolling
        > on
        > > this one!
        > >

        > > JG/RE
        > >

        > =====
        > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
        > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
        >
        > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
        >
        > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
        > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
        > . ."

        > Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo!
        > Messenger.
        > http://im.yahoo.com/

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Chris Wattie
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 5 5:38 PM
          Smart asses! ;-)
          Well, we all know the Glennies would
          use a sheep ... for reasons I dare not
          elaborate.
          The Newfs would be a codfish (if they
          could find one)
          The Marines would have a duck
          (amphibious)
          What *would* the King's 8th mascot
          be, one wonders?
          But for the information of all, IMUC's
          mascots are currently a pair of
          porcelain pigs, now in the care of Sgt.
          Kelly, the contents of which some of
          you may have been invited to partake
          in ... to the detriment of your skulls the
          following morning.
          Maggie Trudeau's not a bad suggestion
          though.

          barnwell <barnlll@y...> wrote:
          > Hey I resemble those 350lbs!!!!
          > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- JGIL1812@a... wrote:
          > > > In a message dated 7/5/00 3:33:30 PM Pacific
          > > > Daylight Time,
          > > > lheidebrecht@h... writes:
          > > >
          > > > << Someone please... nominate a mascot :^)
          > > > Len >>
          > >

          > > A 350 lb Quebecer?? ;-)
          > >
          > > fitz
          > >

          > > > Len... I think YOU should start the ball rolling
          > > on
          > > > this one!
          > > >

          > > > JG/RE
          > > >

          > > =====
          > > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
          > > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
          > >
          > > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
          > >
          > > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
          > > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
          > > . ."

          > > Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo!
          > > Messenger.
          > > http://im.yahoo.com/

          > http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Fitzhugh MacCrae
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5 5:39 PM
            --- james barnwell <barnlll@...> wrote:
            > Hey I resemble those 350lbs!!!!

            Ah, maybe the search is ended, then.

            Fitz

            =====
            Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

            "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

            "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

            http://im.yahoo.com/
          • R. Feltoe
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5 11:19 PM
              Dear Chris,
              On the matter of your question, I think the general response of the members
              of this list seen so far will provide your answer.

              Now if the regiment being reenacted were the Footguards or the Imperial
              Guard, then I would be the first to applaud the introduction of jannisary
              costumes, Jingling Jonny's, Serpents and other such extravagances that could
              be applied to such august and elite regiments.
              BUT
              The concept that a provincial militia unit, that only existed for two years;
              made up of farmers and labourers and led by merchants and local citizens;
              raised in the middle of a war and intended to serve only for that term;
              stuck out at the end of a thousand mile long supply line and often unable to
              get shoes, coats, blankets and food, would take on such an extravagant
              trapping and frippery, beyond that of the majority of regular line regiments
              is, to put it bluntly, farcical.

              I'm sorry to be so sharp on this, but seeing this sort of thing brings back
              some bad memories and was a major part of the reason I was forced to make
              the decision to leave the organisation all those years ago. Considering
              that I literally spent years researching what was accurate for the correct
              Living History portrayal of the IMUC and tried to encourage a standard of
              historical authenticity in its portrayal; I felt that I could not retain my
              professional standing as a museum professional and historian while fantasy
              uniforms were introduced and the simple question of "Are we going to try to
              represent the regiment we claim to portray accurately" was ignored. For
              many years, the pain of that split left me with deep wounds (and an ulcer)
              that only recently had begun to heal and I was really finding enjoyment in
              sharing the company of my old friends once again. But now it appears this
              fantasy element is on the rise once again and the only question I have is,
              "Isn't the honest attempt to portray things accurately good enough? I can
              honestly accept compromises in authenticity for reasons of safety, costs,
              and comfort, but to do it for ego or for 'show' just doesn't cut it in my
              judgement.

              I am well aware that this statement will probably release a torrent of
              vitriolic E-mails back against me. It might even cause a repeat of the
              threatening phone calls I received against the continued health of myself
              and my family if I stayed round the IMUC. But if I'm going to try to remain
              honest ( and stop the ulcer rampaging one more) It had to be said.

              Regretfully,
              Richard Feltoe
            • Chosen Man Wattie
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 6 8:06 AM
                No vitriol here Richard.
                And you're entirely right: the responses from the collected e-group
                members were in the most appropriate vein. I was less than half
                serious in asking you the question, since I was pretty sure that the
                historical IMUC wouldn't have had an official mascot but wondered if
                there were any records of an unofficial one (soldiers, professional
                or
                amateur, seem to have an affinity for these things). I'll take it the
                answer's no.
                But now you've got me wondering how I'd look in a janissary outfit.
                Hmmm. Not to mention the big question: what the heck's a Jingling
                Jonny?
                :)

              • JGIL1812@aol.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6 8:16 AM
                  In a message dated 7/5/00 11:27:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, feltoe@...
                  writes:

                  << I am well aware that this statement will probably release a torrent of
                  vitriolic E-mails back against me. It might even cause a repeat of the
                  threatening phone calls I received against the continued health of myself
                  and my family if I stayed round the IMUC. But if I'm going to try to remain
                  honest ( and stop the ulcer rampaging one more) It had to be said.

                  Regretfully,
                  Richard Feltoe >>

                  Richard,

                  Please ... never change my friend.

                  Your contribution to our hobby is "supreme" and I would stand in the ranks
                  with you anytime, anyplace.

                  Your humble servant,

                  JG/RE
                • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6 9:31 AM
                    (snip)
                    >get shoes, coats, blankets and food, would take on such an extravagant
                    >trapping and frippery, beyond that of the majority of regular line regiments
                    >is, to put it bluntly, farcical.
                    (snip)

                    I'm not up there, nor do I know the reenacted unit history, but aren't they
                    just talking a dog like the 95th had in the Peninsular or a goat like the
                    AWI 23rd RWF have now? Or are we talking like a sports mascot? Just
                    trying to understand the passion. Not sure what some of the snipped parts
                    have to do with a mascot.

                    I certainly agree with you about fanciful costume though, unless it can be
                    documented in a primary source. Related to that is one of my pet peeves in
                    reenacting, which is facial hair. As a sergent in two French units I have,
                    by the regs, the privilege of wearing a moustache. It has now reached the
                    point where, with a little beeswax, I can get a nice twist and curl. But
                    the weekend after this I'll be at a War of 1812 event as an ordinary
                    ranker, so off it goes. It'll have probably grown back just in time for me
                    to shave it off again at Mississinewa. My loss, my choice. But I prefer
                    to portray the norm (regs) rather than the possible exception whenever
                    possible/practical and set an example.

                    BTW, in case it was a serious question from someone (sorry, I forget who),
                    "Jingling Johnnies" are a legacy of the wars with the Turks. A pole with
                    multiple arms covered with bells and other jingles. With accompanyment can
                    pass for music. Many armies brought some home as war trophies and they
                    kind of caught on, especially when Europe went through it's "oriental"
                    phase. At least that's what I've been told.

                    Regards,

                    Michael

                    Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
                    ------------------------------
                    "I've decided to be happy, because it's good for one's health." - Voltaire
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6 1:46 PM
                      Alrighty then. I knoooow everyone has been waiting with bated breath for me
                      to pop up on this one, so here goes...

                      The 93rd (and what else did you expect to hear on from me?) had a "mascot" in
                      it's early formation prior to 1812 whilst still in Scotland.

                      A buck Red Scottish Deer.

                      We don't have one.

                      Doubt we ever will.

                      Not because of the trouble of finding, taming and importing the animal, oh
                      not at all.

                      It's just that the deer was taken care of and led on Parade by Sgt. "Big Sam"
                      McDonald.

                      Sam was 6 foot 10 inches and had a 48 inch chest.
                      (as opposed to a lot of ACW reenactors with 48" waists and are 5'9"..)

                      As no one in our Unit comes anywhere close to 6'10" at present, we shall
                      forego the deer for now (and even then, Big Sam died in 1802...).

                      However, the "official" mascot, or at least symbol of the Regiment, is what
                      the Regiment was often called: An Reisimeid Chataich (The Regiment of the
                      Cat).

                      I doubt we shall be acquiring a Scottish wildcat anytime soon, either...

                      Cheers,
                    • Chris Wattie
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6 1:53 PM
                        How about a wild Haggis? Not easily
                        domesticated I'm told, but a lot more
                        portable ...
                        :)

                        > I doubt we shall be acquiring a Scottish wildcat anytime soon,
                        either...

                        > Cheers,
                      • Craig Williams
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 6 6:52 PM
                          >Alrighty then. I knoooow everyone has been waiting with bated breath for me
                          >to pop up on this one,

                          Not particularly Benton...; )
                        • Craig Williams
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 6 6:56 PM
                            >In a message dated 7/5/00 11:27:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                            feltoe@...
                            >writes:

                            It might even cause a repeat of the
                            > threatening phone calls I received against the continued health of myself
                            > and my family if I stayed round the IMUC.

                            Richard,
                            Look at the quality of the messenger and breath a sigh of relief knowing
                            that they are very small and beneath further notice . If one has to shout
                            then one doesn't have much to say.
                            Cheers friend
                            Craig