Re: [WarOf1812] IMUC Mascot?

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 5, 2000
      --- JGIL1812@... wrote:
      > Daylight Time,
      > lheidebrecht@... writes:
      >
      > << Someone please... nominate a mascot :^)
      > Len >>

      A 350 lb Quebecer?? ;-)

      fitz

      > Len... I think YOU should start the ball rolling on
      > this one!
      >

      > JG/RE

      =====
      Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

      "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

      "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

      http://im.yahoo.com/
    • Fitzhugh MacCrae
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 5, 2000
        --- james barnwell <barnlll@...> wrote:
        > Since 1812 is too early to say Mountie or even Yukon
        > King, How about Tecumseh?
        > --- Len Heidebrecht <lheidebrecht@...> wrote:
        > > What would be the mascot of the Incorporated
        > > Militia of Upper Canada? Oh, no ... this is just
        > too
        > > precious ... Someone please... nominate a mascot
        > :^)
        > > Len
        > > --

        Maggie Trudeau???

        Fitz

        =====

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 5, 2000
          Hey I resemble those 350lbs!!!!
          --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

          > --- JGIL1812@... wrote:
          > > In a message dated 7/5/00 3:33:30 PM Pacific
          > > Daylight Time,
          > > lheidebrecht@... writes:
          > >
          > > << Someone please... nominate a mascot :^)
          > > Len >>
          >

          > A 350 lb Quebecer?? ;-)
          >
          > fitz
          >

          > > Len... I think YOU should start the ball rolling
          > on
          > > this one!
          > >

          > > JG/RE
          > >

          > =====
          > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
          > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
          >
          > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
          >
          > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
          > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
          > . ."

          > Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo!
          > Messenger.
          > http://im.yahoo.com/

          http://im.yahoo.com/
        • Chris Wattie
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 5, 2000
            Smart asses! ;-)
            Well, we all know the Glennies would
            use a sheep ... for reasons I dare not
            elaborate.
            The Newfs would be a codfish (if they
            could find one)
            The Marines would have a duck
            (amphibious)
            What *would* the King's 8th mascot
            be, one wonders?
            But for the information of all, IMUC's
            mascots are currently a pair of
            porcelain pigs, now in the care of Sgt.
            Kelly, the contents of which some of
            you may have been invited to partake
            in ... to the detriment of your skulls the
            following morning.
            Maggie Trudeau's not a bad suggestion
            though.

            barnwell <barnlll@y...> wrote:
            > Hey I resemble those 350lbs!!!!
            > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- JGIL1812@a... wrote:
            > > > In a message dated 7/5/00 3:33:30 PM Pacific
            > > > Daylight Time,
            > > > lheidebrecht@h... writes:
            > > >
            > > > << Someone please... nominate a mascot :^)
            > > > Len >>
            > >

            > > A 350 lb Quebecer?? ;-)
            > >
            > > fitz
            > >

            > > > Len... I think YOU should start the ball rolling
            > > on
            > > > this one!
            > > >

            > > > JG/RE
            > > >

            > > =====
            > > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
            > > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
            > >
            > > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
            > >
            > > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
            > > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
            > > . ."

            > > Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo!
            > > Messenger.
            > > http://im.yahoo.com/

            > http://im.yahoo.com/
          • Fitzhugh MacCrae
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 5, 2000
              --- james barnwell <barnlll@...> wrote:
              > Hey I resemble those 350lbs!!!!

              Ah, maybe the search is ended, then.

              Fitz

              =====
              Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

              "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

              "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

              http://im.yahoo.com/
            • R. Feltoe
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 5, 2000
                Dear Chris,
                On the matter of your question, I think the general response of the members
                of this list seen so far will provide your answer.

                Now if the regiment being reenacted were the Footguards or the Imperial
                Guard, then I would be the first to applaud the introduction of jannisary
                costumes, Jingling Jonny's, Serpents and other such extravagances that could
                be applied to such august and elite regiments.
                BUT
                The concept that a provincial militia unit, that only existed for two years;
                made up of farmers and labourers and led by merchants and local citizens;
                raised in the middle of a war and intended to serve only for that term;
                stuck out at the end of a thousand mile long supply line and often unable to
                get shoes, coats, blankets and food, would take on such an extravagant
                trapping and frippery, beyond that of the majority of regular line regiments
                is, to put it bluntly, farcical.

                I'm sorry to be so sharp on this, but seeing this sort of thing brings back
                some bad memories and was a major part of the reason I was forced to make
                the decision to leave the organisation all those years ago. Considering
                that I literally spent years researching what was accurate for the correct
                Living History portrayal of the IMUC and tried to encourage a standard of
                historical authenticity in its portrayal; I felt that I could not retain my
                professional standing as a museum professional and historian while fantasy
                uniforms were introduced and the simple question of "Are we going to try to
                represent the regiment we claim to portray accurately" was ignored. For
                many years, the pain of that split left me with deep wounds (and an ulcer)
                that only recently had begun to heal and I was really finding enjoyment in
                sharing the company of my old friends once again. But now it appears this
                fantasy element is on the rise once again and the only question I have is,
                "Isn't the honest attempt to portray things accurately good enough? I can
                honestly accept compromises in authenticity for reasons of safety, costs,
                and comfort, but to do it for ego or for 'show' just doesn't cut it in my
                judgement.

                I am well aware that this statement will probably release a torrent of
                vitriolic E-mails back against me. It might even cause a repeat of the
                threatening phone calls I received against the continued health of myself
                and my family if I stayed round the IMUC. But if I'm going to try to remain
                honest ( and stop the ulcer rampaging one more) It had to be said.

                Regretfully,
                Richard Feltoe
              • Chosen Man Wattie
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 6, 2000
                  No vitriol here Richard.
                  And you're entirely right: the responses from the collected e-group
                  members were in the most appropriate vein. I was less than half
                  serious in asking you the question, since I was pretty sure that the
                  historical IMUC wouldn't have had an official mascot but wondered if
                  there were any records of an unofficial one (soldiers, professional
                  or
                  amateur, seem to have an affinity for these things). I'll take it the
                  answer's no.
                  But now you've got me wondering how I'd look in a janissary outfit.
                  Hmmm. Not to mention the big question: what the heck's a Jingling
                  Jonny?
                  :)

                • JGIL1812@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 6, 2000
                    In a message dated 7/5/00 11:27:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, feltoe@...
                    writes:

                    << I am well aware that this statement will probably release a torrent of
                    vitriolic E-mails back against me. It might even cause a repeat of the
                    threatening phone calls I received against the continued health of myself
                    and my family if I stayed round the IMUC. But if I'm going to try to remain
                    honest ( and stop the ulcer rampaging one more) It had to be said.

                    Regretfully,
                    Richard Feltoe >>

                    Richard,

                    Please ... never change my friend.

                    Your contribution to our hobby is "supreme" and I would stand in the ranks
                    with you anytime, anyplace.

                    Your humble servant,

                    JG/RE
                  • mmathews@VAX2.WINONA.MSUS.EDU
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 6, 2000
                      (snip)
                      >get shoes, coats, blankets and food, would take on such an extravagant
                      >trapping and frippery, beyond that of the majority of regular line regiments
                      >is, to put it bluntly, farcical.
                      (snip)

                      I'm not up there, nor do I know the reenacted unit history, but aren't they
                      just talking a dog like the 95th had in the Peninsular or a goat like the
                      AWI 23rd RWF have now? Or are we talking like a sports mascot? Just
                      trying to understand the passion. Not sure what some of the snipped parts
                      have to do with a mascot.

                      I certainly agree with you about fanciful costume though, unless it can be
                      documented in a primary source. Related to that is one of my pet peeves in
                      reenacting, which is facial hair. As a sergent in two French units I have,
                      by the regs, the privilege of wearing a moustache. It has now reached the
                      point where, with a little beeswax, I can get a nice twist and curl. But
                      the weekend after this I'll be at a War of 1812 event as an ordinary
                      ranker, so off it goes. It'll have probably grown back just in time for me
                      to shave it off again at Mississinewa. My loss, my choice. But I prefer
                      to portray the norm (regs) rather than the possible exception whenever
                      possible/practical and set an example.

                      BTW, in case it was a serious question from someone (sorry, I forget who),
                      "Jingling Johnnies" are a legacy of the wars with the Turks. A pole with
                      multiple arms covered with bells and other jingles. With accompanyment can
                      pass for music. Many armies brought some home as war trophies and they
                      kind of caught on, especially when Europe went through it's "oriental"
                      phase. At least that's what I've been told.

                      Regards,

                      Michael

                      Voice: (507) 285-7585 Cel: (507) 450-3535 Fax: (507) 280-5568
                      ------------------------------
                      "I've decided to be happy, because it's good for one's health." - Voltaire
                    • HQ93rd@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 6, 2000
                        Alrighty then. I knoooow everyone has been waiting with bated breath for me
                        to pop up on this one, so here goes...

                        The 93rd (and what else did you expect to hear on from me?) had a "mascot" in
                        it's early formation prior to 1812 whilst still in Scotland.

                        A buck Red Scottish Deer.

                        We don't have one.

                        Doubt we ever will.

                        Not because of the trouble of finding, taming and importing the animal, oh
                        not at all.

                        It's just that the deer was taken care of and led on Parade by Sgt. "Big Sam"
                        McDonald.

                        Sam was 6 foot 10 inches and had a 48 inch chest.
                        (as opposed to a lot of ACW reenactors with 48" waists and are 5'9"..)

                        As no one in our Unit comes anywhere close to 6'10" at present, we shall
                        forego the deer for now (and even then, Big Sam died in 1802...).

                        However, the "official" mascot, or at least symbol of the Regiment, is what
                        the Regiment was often called: An Reisimeid Chataich (The Regiment of the
                        Cat).

                        I doubt we shall be acquiring a Scottish wildcat anytime soon, either...

                        Cheers,
                      • Chris Wattie
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 6, 2000
                          How about a wild Haggis? Not easily
                          domesticated I'm told, but a lot more
                          portable ...
                          :)

                          > I doubt we shall be acquiring a Scottish wildcat anytime soon,
                          either...

                          > Cheers,
                        • Craig Williams
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 6, 2000
                            >Alrighty then. I knoooow everyone has been waiting with bated breath for me
                            >to pop up on this one,

                            Not particularly Benton...; )
                          • Craig Williams
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 6, 2000
                              >In a message dated 7/5/00 11:27:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
                              feltoe@...
                              >writes:

                              It might even cause a repeat of the
                              > threatening phone calls I received against the continued health of myself
                              > and my family if I stayed round the IMUC.

                              Richard,
                              Look at the quality of the messenger and breath a sigh of relief knowing
                              that they are very small and beneath further notice . If one has to shout
                              then one doesn't have much to say.
                              Cheers friend
                              Craig