Re: Welcome to WarOf1812@onelist.com

  • JGIL1812@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 1999
      From JGil1812@...

      Greetings to One and All. That means Brit's, Yanks and Canuk's alike. I have
      been reading your list with great joy over the past few weeks since Messr. L
      signed me up. I am truly amazed and look forward to entering the fray as only
      an Officer of Engineers can... from the sidelines. For those of you who know
      me. Hello again. For those of you who don't. I am a native Canadian born of
      British parents (God bless them and the King) living here in LA. I've been
      actively involved in reenacting the 1812 time period since the early 80's
      from both vantage points.

      Talk to you soon.... JG
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 1999
        Ladies: I would be remiss and
        a very bad Assistant Moderator
        if I didn't mention that the message
        below was posted by one;

        John Guilmour, one of the nicest
        young eligible bachelors on the planet.
        Actually to quote my wife, " a handsome,
        dashing, young British Engineering Officer!".
        John left Canada because he had dated all the
        girls here and needed a new batch to woo.

        He is an avid re-enactor and a great
        actor, as the candle lite tours he has appeared
        in will attest. When asked once to draw a map,
        as his persona would have had, he showed up
        with a raft of hand drawn parchment maps of the
        Battle of New Orleans. What a guy! John will
        be at Fort York's Napoleonic Event in May if
        any of the young single girls out there are interested!

        My hat tips to a great addition to our 1812 OneList
        in the person of John Guilmour, Canadian at large
        in Los Angeles, California.

        Larry Lozon
        >Greetings to One and All. That means Brit's, Yanks and Canuk's alike. I
        have
        >been reading your list with great joy over the past few weeks since Messr.
        >signed me up. I am truly amazed and look forward to entering the fray as
        only
        >an Officer of Engineers can... from the sidelines. For those of you who
        know
        >me. Hello again. For those of you who don't. I am a native Canadian born of
        >British parents (God bless them and the King) living here in LA. I've been
        >actively involved in reenacting the 1812 time period since the early 80's
        >from both vantage points.
        >
        >Talk to you soon.... JG

        >We are proud as punch of our new web site!
        >http://www.onelist.com
        >Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services
        square miles...

      • DM Carpenter
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 2, 1999
          John:

          It's good to see you on the list.

          Regards:
          Dave (aka 'Punkinhead' 21t RNBF)

          JGIL1812@... wrote:

          > From: JGIL1812@...
          >
          > >From JGil1812@...
          >
          > Greetings to One and All. That means Brit's, Yanks and Canuk's alike. I have
          > been reading your list with great joy over the past few weeks since Messr. L
          > signed me up. I am truly amazed and look forward to entering the fray as only
          > an Officer of Engineers can... from the sidelines. For those of you who know
          > me. Hello again. For those of you who don't. I am a native Canadian born of
          > British parents (God bless them and the King) living here in LA. I've been
          > actively involved in reenacting the 1812 time period since the early 80's
          > from both vantage points.
          >
          > Talk to you soon.... JG

          > We are proud as punch of our new web site!
          > http://www.onelist.com
          > Onelist: The leading provider of free email community services
        • Christopher Franke
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 15, 1999

          • Threepdr@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 22, 1999
              Sir,

              I am new to you list. I have found it very enjoyable. How do I post
              messages on the list? Thanks for your help!

              Mark Hubbs

              Madison, AL
            • james barnwell
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 1999
                Hello! i read about yhis list in an article by Lary Lozon in the June
                1999 issue of Smoke and Fire News. I am looking to obtain either Bottle
                Green wool for my Rifle Regiment(U.S.) coatee and winter trousers, or
                bottle green dye. I am also looking for a copy of Mr. Rene Chartrand's
                book,Uniforms and equipment of the american forces,War of 1812. Thank
                You Jim Barnwell

                --- WarOf1812-owner@onelist.com wrote:
                > Hello,
                >
                > Welcome to the list. You will now automatically
                > receive a veritable
                > treasure-trove of information on the War of 1812,
                > and the "special people" who
                > reenact it... along with occasional forays in to
                > related topics like the minor
                > campaigns going on in Europe at the same time as Our
                > War.
                > I think I can safely say that all insults traded
                > between forces of King George
                > and President Madison, and even between those of the
                > Anglo-Saxon nations and the
                > effeminate latins mindlessly following a Corsican
                > upstart, should be taken in
                > the spirit they were no doubt intended: gentle
                > ribbing of cherished
                > fellow-history buffs (OUCH! I HATES THAT LABEL!!!)
                >
                > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web
                > site, at
                > www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link
                > from the menu bar
                > on the left. This menu will also let you change your
                > subscription
                > between digest and normal mode.
                >

                > Thanks,
                > The List Owner

              • Robert Van Patten
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 1999
                  Dear Mr. Barnwell: I think James Townsend and Son carries copies of
                  Chartrand's book. In any case it is not difficult to find. If you do find
                  a source for a good green "rifleman's" dye please let me know.

                  ----------
                  > From: james barnwell <barnlll@...>
                  > To: WarOf1812@onelist.com
                  > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Welcome to WarOf1812@onelist.com
                  > Date: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 5:46 AM
                  >
                  > From: james barnwell <barnlll@...>
                  >
                  > Hello! i read about yhis list in an article by Lary Lozon in the June
                  > 1999 issue of Smoke and Fire News. I am looking to obtain either Bottle
                  > Green wool for my Rifle Regiment(U.S.) coatee and winter trousers, or
                  > bottle green dye. I am also looking for a copy of Mr. Rene Chartrand's
                  > book,Uniforms and equipment of the american forces,War of 1812. Thank
                  > You Jim Barnwell
                  >
                  > --- WarOf1812-owner@onelist.com wrote:
                  > > Hello,
                  > >
                  > > Welcome to the list. You will now automatically
                  > > receive a veritable
                  > > treasure-trove of information on the War of 1812,
                  > > and the "special people" who
                  > > reenact it... along with occasional forays in to
                  > > related topics like the minor
                  > > campaigns going on in Europe at the same time as Our
                  > > War.
                  > > I think I can safely say that all insults traded
                  > > between forces of King George
                  > > and President Madison, and even between those of the
                  > > Anglo-Saxon nations and the
                  > > effeminate latins mindlessly following a Corsican
                  > > upstart, should be taken in
                  > > the spirit they were no doubt intended: gentle
                  > > ribbing of cherished
                  > > fellow-history buffs (OUCH! I HATES THAT LABEL!!!)
                  > >
                  > > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web
                  > > site, at
                  > > www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link
                  > > from the menu bar
                  > > on the left. This menu will also let you change your
                  > > subscription
                  > > between digest and normal mode.
                  > >

                  > > Thanks,
                  > > The List Owner

                  > Give back to your community through "Grow to Give."
                  > http://www.onelist.com
                  > Deadline is June 19. See homepage for details.
                  square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                  of square miles...
                • Welch, Dave
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 8, 1999
                    Greetings James and Robert from a "list lurker" :-)

                    Over the winter, I contacted quite a number of specialty & rare book shops
                    trying to find
                    a new or used copy of Rene Chartrand's book on uniforms of the U. S. Forces
                    in the War of 1812. Townsend sold their last copy back in the early fall
                    last year. As I understand it (second-hand), one of the Forts had a run of
                    1000 copies printed up a few years ago. All are sold, and they do not plan
                    to commission another printing.

                    If you should find a source for the book, I would be grateful if you could
                    advise.

                    Dave Welch,
                    Private
                    5th Maryland Volunteer Infantry - the "Dandy 5th".

                    Dear Mr. Barnwell: I think James Townsend and Son carries copies of
                    Chartrand's book. In any case it is not difficult to find. If you do find
                    a source for a good green "rifleman's" dye please let me know.

                    ----------
                    > From: james barnwell <barnlll@...>
                    > To: WarOf1812@onelist.com
                    > Subject: Re: [WarOf1812] Welcome to WarOf1812@onelist.com
                    > Date: Tuesday, June 08, 1999 5:46 AM
                    >
                    > From: james barnwell <barnlll@...>
                    >
                    > Hello! i read about yhis list in an article by Lary Lozon in the June
                    > 1999 issue of Smoke and Fire News. I am looking to obtain either Bottle
                    > Green wool for my Rifle Regiment(U.S.) coatee and winter trousers, or
                    > bottle green dye. I am also looking for a copy of Mr. Rene Chartrand's
                    > book,Uniforms and equipment of the american forces,War of 1812. Thank
                    > You Jim Barnwell
                    >
                    > --- WarOf1812-owner@onelist.com wrote:
                    > > Hello,
                    > >
                    > > Welcome to the list. You will now automatically
                    > > receive a veritable
                    > > treasure-trove of information on the War of 1812,
                    > > and the "special people" who
                    > > reenact it... along with occasional forays in to
                    > > related topics like the minor
                    > > campaigns going on in Europe at the same time as Our
                    > > War.
                    > > I think I can safely say that all insults traded
                    > > between forces of King George
                    > > and President Madison, and even between those of the
                    > > Anglo-Saxon nations and the
                    > > effeminate latins mindlessly following a Corsican
                    > > upstart, should be taken in
                    > > the spirit they were no doubt intended: gentle
                    > > ribbing of cherished
                    > > fellow-history buffs (OUCH! I HATES THAT LABEL!!!)
                    > >
                    > > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web
                    > > site, at
                    > > www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link
                    > > from the menu bar
                    > > on the left. This menu will also let you change your
                    > > subscription
                    > > between digest and normal mode.
                    > >

                    > > Thanks,
                    > > The List Owner

                    > Give back to your community through "Grow to Give."
                    > http://www.onelist.com
                    > Deadline is June 19. See homepage for details.
                    square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                    of square miles...

                    How has ONElist changed your life?
                    Share your story with us at http://www.onelist.com
                    square miles...
                  • james barnwell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 8, 1999
                      Dave,i found a company in the UK selling Bottle Green Rugby shirts...so
                      Im going to check where they get the dye.....Jim B

                    • Robert Van Patten
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 8, 1999
                        Jim: if you find a source please tell me about it. I need to get some
                        riflemen's frocks dyed.

                        ----------

                      • Gerry Tordiff
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 14, 1999
                          Hello there,
                          I sure am getting a lot of messages. I had requested, and was previously in
                          digest mode. If I am not, could you please change me digest mode.
                          thanks,
                          Bob Tordiff
                          At 10:24 PM 8/12/99 -0000, you wrote:
                          >Hello,
                          >

                          >Hello,
                          >
                          >Welcome to the list. You will now automatically
                          >receive a veritable treasure-trove of information
                          >on the War of 1812,and the “special people” who
                          >reenact it... along with occasional forays in to
                          >related topics like the minor campaigns going on
                          >in Europe at the same time as Our War.
                          >
                          >I think I can safely say that all insults traded
                          >between forces of King George and President Madison,
                          > and even between those of the Anglo-Saxon nations
                          >and the effeminate latins mindlessly following a Corsican
                          >upstart, should be taken in the spirit they were no
                          >doubt intended: gentle ribbing of cherished
                          >fellow-history buffs (OUCH! I HATES THAT LABEL!!!)
                          >
                          >Our first request of you, dear new subscriber, is that you post a message
                          to the list introducing yourself.
                          >If you have an area of special interest or expertise in or on the War of
                          1812, it would be helpful if you would identify it - if it is an area of
                          interest you want information on, no doubt List members will immediately
                          start deluging you with same... and if you are an expert on some aspect of
                          the War, then expect some questions!

                          >If you are a member of a reenactment unit(s), please identify it/them.
                          >Your approximate location on this wonderful globe would also be useful
                          – we have list members from Canada, Britain, Australia, New Zealand,
                          and the U.S. of A.

                          >When posting to the List, please always put a “subject” to your
                          message, as this helps find your words of wisdom from the List archives later.
                          >Also, if responding to someone else’s message, please do not simply
                          hit the “reply” button: <snip> the message you are replying to,
                          leaving only enough of the original message so that readers can identify it
                          and the aspect of it you are commenting upon. This will help everyone
                          understand your point and keep message lengths down to more manageable lengths.
                          >Also, when replying, please always delete the Onelist ad and signoff line,
                          as they will automatically be added to your message again by the Onelist
                          anyway, and ‘once is enough”...

                          >Any questions about the operation and “customs” of this List?
                          Post away to the List - or, feel free to contact Jim off-line at
                          yawors1@....