Re: Request: Pension Information

  • Jason Everett
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2000
      --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Anne Woodley <awoodley@i...> wrote:
      > jeverett@s... wrote;
      >
      > [Question re Privates Pensions] I seem to recall someone (Rifleman
      Harris?) getting a 6d pension. Can anyone help?
      > Do you mean this from Edward Costello about Tom Plunkett - I have
      quoted the anecdote direct from Costello...[snip]

      Thanks Anne, although I'm sure the 6d memory is from a book on my
      shelf, which does not (yet) include Costello. If I find the time,
      I'll go through the various recollections in my library, but I'm
      pretty certain it was Harris. Even so, once I find it, this gives me
      two examples to back up the 6d supposition. I'd still like to see a
      summary of the Regulations, plus the rates for Sergeants, Corporals,
      Drummers, etc.

      R. Jason Everett,
      (Capt.), Incorporated Militia
    • IX Regiment
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2000
        Jason,

        I'm always nervous about venturing information on this forum since
        everyone seems to know so much more about the regulations of the British
        Army than I do and are very quick to point out the errors of one's ways
        :-)

        However I have investigated the cases of James and Richard Hale, two
        brothers who were discharged from service in the IX Regiment of Foot
        (which is the reason for my interest!) serving from 1806 to 1814, after
        appearing before the Pensions Board of the Royal Military Hospital at
        Chelsea, the records are in the Public Records Office at Kew, London (GB
        not Canada).

        They were discharged on 23rd August 1814 and I have seen the entries in
        the ledgers, James was awarded 9d and Richard 1/-d, the difference
        appears to me to stem from the nature of their wounds. James lost the
        lower left forearm in front of San Sebastian on 31 August 1813 and
        Richard lost his right arm above the elbow in an action around Bayonne
        on 11 December 1813.

        I can only conclude that the pensions were based on the severity of the
        wounds assessed by the medical board, James had greater service and rank
        than his brother and a citation from his Company Captain but got a
        lesser pension.

        Most of the details are set down in "The Journal of James Hale Late
        Serjeant in the ninth Regiment of Foot" which I transcribed and
        republished in 1998.

        I have a supplementary question, does anyone know how the British Army
        in our period paid out the pensions?

        Cheers

        P**

        --
        IX Regiment
      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2000
          In a message dated 7/3/2000 8:20:45 PM Central Daylight Time,
          jeverett@... writes:

          << Someone asked me what I knew about Pensions
          granted to soldiers for wounds received, which left them incapable of
          working. I have material on the Officers ("General Regulations and
          Orders for the Army" [1811]), and a few references to Chelsea.
          However, I have not seen a set of Regulations, or a table of rates,
          for Privates and NCOs who were Out-Pensioners (I believe that is the
          correct term). Now, I'm quite curious about this myself. I seem to
          recall someone (Rifleman Harris?) getting a 6d pension. Can anyone
          help?

          Dear Jason,

          I have the complete pension warrant for 1829, however there were previous
          ones 1806, 12, 14, 16(25th March), 16(19th December), 18, 22, 23(28th July),
          23(19th August), and 1826.
          The 29 supercedes all of the above.

          There is a table for rates of pension related to wounds, viz:
          First Degree.
          Men losing two limbs or both eyes from wound or being so severely wounded as
          to be totally incapable of earning a livelihood, and to require the
          assistance and care of some other person.

          from to
          s d s d
          Sergeant 2 6 3 6
          Corporal 2 0 3 0
          Private 1 6 2 0

          Second Degree
          Men rendered incapable of earning a livelihood, but not requiring the care of
          another person.
          from to
          s d s d
          Sergeant 2 0 3 0
          Corporal 1 6 2 0
          Private 1 0 1 6

          Third Degree
          Men able to contribute in a small degree towards a livelihood

          from to
          s d s d
          Sergeant 1 6 2 0
          Corporal 1 0 1 6
          Private 0 9 1 0

          Fourth Degree
          Men able to contribute materially towards a livelihood, although unfit for
          the ordinary duties of the service.

          from to
          s d s d
          Sergeant 1 0 1 6