Re: [WarOf1812] Gun Ranges, Fort Erie

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3 9:24 AM
      Thanks, for the all information Sgt.

      Rob

      =====
      War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3 2:13 PM
        After much searching I have finally my information on distance and range.

        Here is some gleanings

        Comparative Ranges of shot from a light 6 pounder with various...(typical
        long 18th C title) 1780

        Elevation Recoil Powder 1st Graze Extreme Range
        degree ft ins lbs oz yds yds
        p.b. 3 0 12 235 1429
        " " " " 152 1216
        p.b. 3 6 1 0 201 1365
        p.b. 7 6 1 8 256 1630

        4 6 10 1 8 1500 1825

        If anyone is interested in this I could prepare it in a spread sheet for
        you.
        As you can see it is not as simple a formula as Jesse has stated although
        it is good to guestimate using that. It depends on elevation, powder, wind
        and many other things. One test that was done at Woolwich Common shows
        that with 5lbs of powder at 3 degrees one shot went 1671 yds, the second
        went 1303, and the last grazed at 632 and rolled to 800!

        Hope it helps