Re: [WarOf1812] American Regimental Affiliation

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
      --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
      > Dear All,
      > I've got a question for anyone with details of
      > American Regiments and those
      > who fought at Lundy's Lane.
      >
      > Lieutenant Le Couteur (104th Regiment) makes the
      > statement in his Journal
      > that after the battle concluded his regiment was
      > placed on the hilltop where
      > he provided assistance to the American wounded, he
      > then stated "... Close
      > by me lay a fine young man, the son of the American
      > General Hull. He was
      > mortally wounded, and I gave him some brandy and
      > water..."
      >
      > My question is, does anyone know of the regimental
      > affiliation for this
      > American officer? I believe his grave is in the
      > cemetery at Lundy's Lane
      > and perhaps there is an indication on the stone, but
      > if anyone has the info
      > to hand I would be grateful for the details.
      > regards
      > Richard Feltoe

      I believe the hill was held by the 21st Infantry.

      Fitz

      =====
      Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

      "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

      "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Rob Taylor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
        Richard:
        I just went up to the cenetary Hull was with
        the 9th U.S. Infantry at least that's what it said on
        the grave marker.

        Rob
        --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

        > --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
        > > Dear All,
        > > I've got a question for anyone with details of
        > > American Regiments and those
        > > who fought at Lundy's Lane.
        > >
        > > Lieutenant Le Couteur (104th Regiment) makes the
        > > statement in his Journal
        > > that after the battle concluded his regiment was
        > > placed on the hilltop where
        > > he provided assistance to the American wounded, he
        > > then stated "... Close
        > > by me lay a fine young man, the son of the
        > American
        > > General Hull. He was
        > > mortally wounded, and I gave him some brandy and
        > > water..."
        > >
        > > My question is, does anyone know of the regimental
        > > affiliation for this
        > > American officer? I believe his grave is in the
        > > cemetery at Lundy's Lane
        > > and perhaps there is an indication on the stone,
        > but
        > > if anyone has the info
        > > to hand I would be grateful for the details.
        > > regards
        > > Richard Feltoe
        > >

        > I believe the hill was held by the 21st Infantry.
        >
        > Fitz
        >

        > =====
        > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
        > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
        >
        > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
        >
        > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
        > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
        > . ."

        > http://invites.yahoo.com/

        =====
        War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
      • Rob Taylor
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
          FR wrote:
          I believe the hill was held by the 21st
          Infantry.
          Fitz

          Rob ... Fitz, How long did they hold Lundy's Lane I
          thought they withdrew to Chippawa?

          =====

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
            --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:
            > FR wrote:
            > I believe the hill was held by the 21st
            > Infantry.
            > Fitz
            >
            > Rob ... Fitz, How long did they hold Lundy's Lane I
            > thought they withdrew to Chippawa?

            The 21st took the hill from the artillery by the
            bayonet about halfway through the fracas. They held
            it until Ripley gave the order for a general
            withdrawal, about an hour after the British quit the
            field. a short time later, Drummond sent an officer to
            scout the hill, as he no longer heard any sounds
            coming from it. Finding the position abandoned, the
            British reoccupied it.
            As for the late Lt. Hull, perhaps he was wounded when
            Scott took his column and careened through the US
            lines without notifying anyone that he was going to do
            this - his column was fired on by his own side, and
            forced to withdraw. Richard? what do you think?

            Fitz

            =====
            Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

            "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

            "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

            http://invites.yahoo.com/
          • R. Feltoe
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
              Dear Rob,
              Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it. I had hoped It would have been one
              of the 2nd brigade Regiments (who were fairly static once they got on top of
              the hill) but as the 9th were part of the 1st Brigade and under Winfield
              Scott got themselves shot to*&^% in three separate parts of the battlefield,
              it blows my idea of placing a specific location for LaCoutour's piquet post
              on the hilltop after the battle. I'll just have to rely on his other
              comment of the men hauling the dead horses (presumably the British battery
              horses killed by the Americans when they stormed the guns) into a line to
              form a protective breastwork in case the Americans came back to attack.
              This would then place Couteur somewhere between the junction of the modern
              day Lundy's lane / Drummond Street and the Churchyard, on the crest of the
              hill.

              Thanks again.
              Richard Feltoe
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
                Richard, the more I am reading this the more I am becomming excited about
                another 1812 book!!!
                Any idea about when it is comming out!

                Speaking of comming out the Wentworth Re-enactment Society had its first
                battle as the Grenadier company of the 89th Reg't of Foot. We hald the
                beach against the American onslaught and died gloriously!!!! Well I didn't
                the musket was firing way too well! Only one misfire the whole weekend!

                Roger, Ed good to finally meet you!
                Len great to be under your command!

                great event. The FoFY did a great job!
                Huzzah
                (or is it Huzzay?)
              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 3, 2000
                  From Heitman;

                  Hull, Abraham Fuller. NY. NY.
                  Capt. 23 Inf 14 Apr 1812; tr to 9 Inf 15 Apr 1813; killed 25 July 1814
                  in battle of Niagara Falls U.C.

                  Born in NY, entered army in NY are the NY's.
                  Battle of Niagara Falls U.C is Lundy' Lane.

                  Regards,

                  Bob
                • David Bennett
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 4, 2000
                    ---David Bennett replies:1) I agree that Hull of the 9th U.S. fell during Scotts "brilliant" charge when he took his 1st Brigade directly in between the contesting lines at Lundys Lane, apparently to see how many more men could be killed. See page 154 in Donald Graves THE BATTLE OF LUNDY'S LANE 1993 Nautical & Aviation Publishing.2) The comment that "...21st took the hill from the artillery..." is somewhat simplified. The 21st succeded after firing a volley, and then charging with fixed bayonets. But then again, this was after the 1st Infantry had made a demonstration against the front, as the 21st prepared to charge from the flank. The 23rd also had charged on the flank but had been stopped. The success of the 21st was due to the complete 2nd Brigades efforts. Yes they got all the glory but the truth is.... if the 150 men of the 1st Infantry had not marched directly up the hill and gained the entire British lines attention, the 21st would not had been able to suprise the British left flank.3) "took the hill from the artillery..." You mean there were not any Infantry up on the hill? Would British artillery had been posted without any Infantry support? When the hill was taken, it was from the British artillery and their Infantry supports. Thanks, just wanted to clarify your comments. By the way....I loved your comment about General Marshall in WW2!! David Bennett. In WarOf1812@egroups.com, Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@y...> wrote:> > --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@y...> wrote:> > FR wrote:> > I believe the hill was held by the 21st> > Infantry. > > Fitz> > > > Rob ... Fitz, How long did they hold Lundy's Lane I> > thought they withdrew to Chippawa?> > The 21st took the hill from the artillery by the> bayonet about halfway through the fracas. They held> it until Ripley gave the order for a general> withdrawal, about an hour after the British quit the> field. a short time later, Drummond sent an officer to> scout the hill, as he no longer heard any sounds> coming from it. Finding the position abandoned, the> British reoccupied it.> As for the late Lt. Hull, perhaps he was wounded when> Scott took his column and careened through the US> lines without notifying anyone that he was going to do> this - his column was fired on by his own side, and> forced to withdraw. Richard? what do you think?> > > Fitz> > > > > > > =====> > War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com> > > > __________________________________________________> > Do You Yahoo!?> > Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites.> > http://invites.yahoo.com/> > > > > =====> Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale> > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"> > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."> > __________________________________________________> Do You Yahoo!?> Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites.> http://invites.yahoo.com/