Re: [WarOf1812] Gun Ranges, Fort Erie

  • JESSE PUDWELL
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
      Rob,

      Whenever you hear tell of the size of the cannon a good rule of thumb is to
      use one-tenth of its size to give you an idea of its maximum range.

      eg:
      a six pounder..... would be 0.6 of a mile
      a twelve pounder....would be 1.2 miles
      an eighteen pounder.....would be 1.8 miles
      a twenty-four pounder.....would be 2.4 miles.......and so on

      Also, the British load was to use 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the cannon in
      gunpowder to give it its maximum range.

      eg: LOADS
      6 pdr would use 2 lbs powder maximum load
      12 pdr would use 4 lbs powder maximum load
      18 pdr would use 6 lbs powder maximum load
      24 pdr would use 8 lbs powder maximum load.

      The big black gun out in the front(ravelin) of Fort Erie is a 36
      pounder....and it's a Russian Gun!! Very curious story behind the old girl.
      In the 1830's the French and then the British moved into Russia and started
      to produce artillery from their founderies for the Russians....it was a very
      enterprising business....until the Crimean War. Ironically, Fort Erie's 36
      Pdr is a British Cast Russian Gun!!! It was used against the British by the
      Russians in the 1850s, was damaged by a British Ball when it hit the top of
      the piece, captured by the British and then began its journey to Canada. It
      came here and made its way to the St. Catharines Armoury (home of the
      Lincoln and Welland Militia) in the 1930s as a display piece. It was donated
      to Fort Erie early in the 1960s....and there it rests in all its glory. Next
      time you're there, look at it and you'll see the double headed eagle Cypher
      of the Czar of Russia. It had a maximum range of 3.5 miles and its a navel
      piece!!! Imagine that baby going off the starboard side with a few of its
      buddies. One hell of a big gun and it would have been one hell of a big ship
      too!! the gun weighs around 3 tonnes!!!

      After all this though, you must remember that the effective ranges of guns
      are quite different than their maximum ranges. Usually a third to a half of
      their maximum ranges.

      Seige lines at Fort Erie: there were three "lines".
      Garrison road at Central Avenue is a good place to start to give you a good
      idea. Then move it forward toward Fort Erie, right behind the current day
      Legion. Then move it forward one more time to about where the road is that
      comes out of the back parking lot of the County Fair Mall and goes down to
      the modern day Niagara Boulevard.

      Hope this helps Rob.

      Cheers,

      Sgt Pud

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
        Thanks, for the all information Sgt.

        Rob

        =====
        War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
      • Kevin Windsor
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
          After much searching I have finally my information on distance and range.

          Here is some gleanings

          Comparative Ranges of shot from a light 6 pounder with various...(typical
          long 18th C title) 1780

          Elevation Recoil Powder 1st Graze Extreme Range
          degree ft ins lbs oz yds yds
          p.b. 3 0 12 235 1429
          " " " " 152 1216
          p.b. 3 6 1 0 201 1365
          p.b. 7 6 1 8 256 1630

          4 6 10 1 8 1500 1825

          If anyone is interested in this I could prepare it in a spread sheet for
          you.
          As you can see it is not as simple a formula as Jesse has stated although
          it is good to guestimate using that. It depends on elevation, powder, wind
          and many other things. One test that was done at Woolwich Common shows
          that with 5lbs of powder at 3 degrees one shot went 1671 yds, the second
          went 1303, and the last grazed at 632 and rolled to 800!

          Hope it helps