Re: [WarOf1812] Port Dover

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2000
      --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
      > Dear Fitzhugh,
      > You are entirely correct in questioning the
      > reference to Cruikshank as he
      > certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the
      > time period he wrote in
      > and his natural pride in Canada) of events during
      > the war. But I'm afraid
      > the Documentary History is not one of them. It
      > consists entirely of
      > transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls,
      > Official and private
      > letters from almost everyone connected with the war,
      > journals, newspaper
      > publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a
      > large number of these
      > transcriptions against the original documents and
      > apart from a few typos and
      > misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the
      > original documents is a fairly
      > faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a
      > multitude of sources. I
      > would be happy to bang out a few of the more
      > interesting and otherwise
      > unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants
      > to see them.
      >
      > Regards Richard Feltoe

      You would have been amused to hear my inhtroductory
      lecture on the War of 1812 at the local university;

      "The War of 18112 was fought between England and the
      United States. The winner was Canada: the loser was
      Spain.
      Any questions?"

      FR Maccrae

      =====
      Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

      "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

      "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

      http://invites.yahoo.com/