Cruikshank Documents

  • R. Feltoe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 8:57 PM
      Rob,
      Here are two pieces from Cruikshank's "Documentary History"
      All I can say is, What a way to run a war!

      A letter from New York State Governor, Tompkins to Secretary of War William
      Eustis on difficulties in supplying the militia with equipment, 27 June,
      1812;

      ". The keeper of the stores will not part with cannon, muskets, ammunition,
      or other articles, without the order of his superior officer. General
      Dearborn has requested me to order out the militia.and informs me that the
      Quartermaster General will supply camp equipage for them. Upon application
      to the Quartermaster General, who is now in Albany, I find there is no camp
      equipage except a few tents and about sixty camp kettles which have been in
      our arsenal at this place for several years. For the delivery of even these
      I cannot obtain a written order. The Deputy Quartermaster General will not
      give an order for their delivery without written directions from the
      Quartermaster General and the Quartermaster General does not seem willing to
      give such written directions.although he is perfectly willing I should have
      the articles. Under such circumstances, I shall presume to take possession
      of them at my own hazard and shall accordingly forward them to-morrow
      morning, hoping that my proceedings on the emergency will be approved and
      confirmed."
      (Tompkin Papers N.Y.State Library)

      A letter from General William Wadsworth to New York State Governor
      Tompkins upon being notified that he was being placed in command of the
      American militia forces on the Niagara frontier, June 28, 1812;

      "Sir- I have received your letter of the 23rd instant. I take the command
      of the troops at Black Rock and its vicinity in obedience to Your Excellency
      's order with the greatest diffidence, having no experience of actual
      service. My knowledge of the military art is limited; indeed, I foresee
      numberless difficulties and occurrences which will present to which I feel
      totally inadequate. I have been ambitious that the regiment and brigade
      which I have commanded should be distinguished at their reviews, but I
      confess myself ignorant of even the minor duties of the duty you have
      assigned me, and I am apprehensive that I may not only expose myself but my
      Government. Any aid which Your Excellency may think proper to order will be
      received with thanks. A military secretary intimately acquainted with the
      details of camp duty would be of great service to me."
      (Tompson Papers Vol VII, P271 2 N.Y. State Library.

      And these guys wanted a war?
      Regards Richard Feltoe

      PS There's plenty more where that came from.