Re: [WarOf1812] Port Dover

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1 5:10 PM
      Hi Richard:
      I would be interested in seeing them.

      Rob
      I just got back from viewing the reenactment at Fort
      York or at least the first part of it, traffic was
      nuts, stuck for ages not moving. Missed the actual
      landing of Americans at the beach couldn't get to it.

      --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
      > Dear Fitzhugh,
      > You are entirely correct in questioning the
      > reference to Cruikshank as he
      > certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the
      > time period he wrote in
      > and his natural pride in Canada) of events during
      > the war. But I'm afraid
      > the Documentary History is not one of them. It
      > consists entirely of
      > transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls,
      > Official and private
      > letters from almost everyone connected with the war,
      > journals, newspaper
      > publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a
      > large number of these
      > transcriptions against the original documents and
      > apart from a few typos and
      > misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the
      > original documents is a fairly
      > faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a
      > multitude of sources. I
      > would be happy to bang out a few of the more
      > interesting and otherwise
      > unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants
      > to see them.
      >
      > Regards Richard Feltoe

      =====
      War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Fitzhugh MacCrae
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 2 4:33 AM
        --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
        > Dear Fitzhugh,
        > You are entirely correct in questioning the
        > reference to Cruikshank as he
        > certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the
        > time period he wrote in
        > and his natural pride in Canada) of events during
        > the war. But I'm afraid
        > the Documentary History is not one of them. It
        > consists entirely of
        > transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls,
        > Official and private
        > letters from almost everyone connected with the war,
        > journals, newspaper
        > publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a
        > large number of these
        > transcriptions against the original documents and
        > apart from a few typos and
        > misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the
        > original documents is a fairly
        > faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a
        > multitude of sources. I
        > would be happy to bang out a few of the more
        > interesting and otherwise
        > unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants
        > to see them.
        >
        > Regards Richard Feltoe

        You would have been amused to hear my inhtroductory
        lecture on the War of 1812 at the local university;

        "The War of 18112 was fought between England and the
        United States. The winner was Canada: the loser was
        Spain.
        Any questions?"

        FR Maccrae

        =====
        Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

        "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

        "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

        http://invites.yahoo.com/