Re: [WarOf1812] Port Dover

  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
      --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
      > Dear Susanne
      > Sorry dear but I can't give you an official
      > reference for the quote as
      > it ain't been published yet. Actually its simply a
      > snippet from my current
      > work on the war that's scheduled for publication
      > next year. The original
      > documentation is well detailed in Cruikshank's 9
      > volume work, " Documentary
      > History of the War of 1812 on the Niagara Frontier "
      > published back in the
      > early 1900's. Since its kind of hard to find, I got
      > myself a complete
      > microfiche copy and would be happy to try to make
      > copies for you of the
      > relevant pages if I can find a microfiche reader
      > with a photocopy
      > attachment.
      >
      > Regards Richard.

      I was under thhe impression that thre were some
      serious errors in Cruikshank, such as his fantasy
      charge of british infantry that retook the hill at
      Lundy's lane with the bayonet. . .

      FMaccrae

      =====
      Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

      "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

      "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • R. Feltoe
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
        Dear Fitzhugh,
        You are entirely correct in questioning the reference to Cruikshank as he
        certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the time period he wrote in
        and his natural pride in Canada) of events during the war. But I'm afraid
        the Documentary History is not one of them. It consists entirely of
        transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls, Official and private
        letters from almost everyone connected with the war, journals, newspaper
        publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a large number of these
        transcriptions against the original documents and apart from a few typos and
        misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the original documents is a fairly
        faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a multitude of sources. I
        would be happy to bang out a few of the more interesting and otherwise
        unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants to see them.

        Regards Richard Feltoe
      • Rob Taylor
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
          Hi Richard:
          I would be interested in seeing them.

          Rob
          I just got back from viewing the reenactment at Fort
          York or at least the first part of it, traffic was
          nuts, stuck for ages not moving. Missed the actual
          landing of Americans at the beach couldn't get to it.

          --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
          > Dear Fitzhugh,
          > You are entirely correct in questioning the
          > reference to Cruikshank as he
          > certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the
          > time period he wrote in
          > and his natural pride in Canada) of events during
          > the war. But I'm afraid
          > the Documentary History is not one of them. It
          > consists entirely of
          > transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls,
          > Official and private
          > letters from almost everyone connected with the war,
          > journals, newspaper
          > publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a
          > large number of these
          > transcriptions against the original documents and
          > apart from a few typos and
          > misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the
          > original documents is a fairly
          > faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a
          > multitude of sources. I
          > would be happy to bang out a few of the more
          > interesting and otherwise
          > unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants
          > to see them.
          >
          > Regards Richard Feltoe

          =====
          War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

          http://invites.yahoo.com/
        • Fitzhugh MacCrae
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2000
            --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
            > Dear Fitzhugh,
            > You are entirely correct in questioning the
            > reference to Cruikshank as he
            > certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the
            > time period he wrote in
            > and his natural pride in Canada) of events during
            > the war. But I'm afraid
            > the Documentary History is not one of them. It
            > consists entirely of
            > transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls,
            > Official and private
            > letters from almost everyone connected with the war,
            > journals, newspaper
            > publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a
            > large number of these
            > transcriptions against the original documents and
            > apart from a few typos and
            > misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the
            > original documents is a fairly
            > faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a
            > multitude of sources. I
            > would be happy to bang out a few of the more
            > interesting and otherwise
            > unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants
            > to see them.
            >
            > Regards Richard Feltoe

            You would have been amused to hear my inhtroductory
            lecture on the War of 1812 at the local university;

            "The War of 18112 was fought between England and the
            United States. The winner was Canada: the loser was
            Spain.
            Any questions?"

            FR Maccrae

            =====