Re: [WarOf1812] Port Dover

  • R. Feltoe
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2000
      Dear Susanne
      Sorry dear but I can't give you an official reference for the quote as
      it ain't been published yet. Actually its simply a snippet from my current
      work on the war that's scheduled for publication next year. The original
      documentation is well detailed in Cruikshank's 9 volume work, " Documentary
      History of the War of 1812 on the Niagara Frontier " published back in the
      early 1900's. Since its kind of hard to find, I got myself a complete
      microfiche copy and would be happy to try to make copies for you of the
      relevant pages if I can find a microfiche reader with a photocopy
      attachment.

      Regards Richard.
    • Fitzhugh MacCrae
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
        --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
        > Dear Susanne
        > Sorry dear but I can't give you an official
        > reference for the quote as
        > it ain't been published yet. Actually its simply a
        > snippet from my current
        > work on the war that's scheduled for publication
        > next year. The original
        > documentation is well detailed in Cruikshank's 9
        > volume work, " Documentary
        > History of the War of 1812 on the Niagara Frontier "
        > published back in the
        > early 1900's. Since its kind of hard to find, I got
        > myself a complete
        > microfiche copy and would be happy to try to make
        > copies for you of the
        > relevant pages if I can find a microfiche reader
        > with a photocopy
        > attachment.
        >
        > Regards Richard.

        I was under thhe impression that thre were some
        serious errors in Cruikshank, such as his fantasy
        charge of british infantry that retook the hill at
        Lundy's lane with the bayonet. . .

        FMaccrae

        =====
        Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

        "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

        "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

        http://invites.yahoo.com/
      • R. Feltoe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
          Dear Fitzhugh,
          You are entirely correct in questioning the reference to Cruikshank as he
          certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the time period he wrote in
          and his natural pride in Canada) of events during the war. But I'm afraid
          the Documentary History is not one of them. It consists entirely of
          transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls, Official and private
          letters from almost everyone connected with the war, journals, newspaper
          publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a large number of these
          transcriptions against the original documents and apart from a few typos and
          misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the original documents is a fairly
          faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a multitude of sources. I
          would be happy to bang out a few of the more interesting and otherwise
          unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants to see them.

          Regards Richard Feltoe
        • Rob Taylor
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2000
            Hi Richard:
            I would be interested in seeing them.

            Rob
            I just got back from viewing the reenactment at Fort
            York or at least the first part of it, traffic was
            nuts, stuck for ages not moving. Missed the actual
            landing of Americans at the beach couldn't get to it.

            --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
            > Dear Fitzhugh,
            > You are entirely correct in questioning the
            > reference to Cruikshank as he
            > certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the
            > time period he wrote in
            > and his natural pride in Canada) of events during
            > the war. But I'm afraid
            > the Documentary History is not one of them. It
            > consists entirely of
            > transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls,
            > Official and private
            > letters from almost everyone connected with the war,
            > journals, newspaper
            > publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a
            > large number of these
            > transcriptions against the original documents and
            > apart from a few typos and
            > misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the
            > original documents is a fairly
            > faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a
            > multitude of sources. I
            > would be happy to bang out a few of the more
            > interesting and otherwise
            > unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants
            > to see them.
            >
            > Regards Richard Feltoe

            =====
            War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

            http://invites.yahoo.com/
          • Fitzhugh MacCrae
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2000
              --- "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@...> wrote:
              > Dear Fitzhugh,
              > You are entirely correct in questioning the
              > reference to Cruikshank as he
              > certainly wrote some biased accounts (based upon the
              > time period he wrote in
              > and his natural pride in Canada) of events during
              > the war. But I'm afraid
              > the Documentary History is not one of them. It
              > consists entirely of
              > transcriptions of Official Orders, Regimental rolls,
              > Official and private
              > letters from almost everyone connected with the war,
              > journals, newspaper
              > publications and a whole lot more. I have checked a
              > large number of these
              > transcriptions against the original documents and
              > apart from a few typos and
              > misinterpretations of poor handwriting in the
              > original documents is a fairly
              > faithful and comprehensive record of the war from a
              > multitude of sources. I
              > would be happy to bang out a few of the more
              > interesting and otherwise
              > unpublished documents on this list if anyone wants
              > to see them.
              >
              > Regards Richard Feltoe

              You would have been amused to hear my inhtroductory
              lecture on the War of 1812 at the local university;

              "The War of 18112 was fought between England and the
              United States. The winner was Canada: the loser was
              Spain.
              Any questions?"

              FR Maccrae

              =====