Re: was Scholarly Myths, now shoes

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 1999
      >From: "Andrew Bateman" <abateman@...>
      >
      >Roger wrote:
      >
      >>just what sort of footwear is readily available for this period that is
      >>documented and -dare I say it- wearable?
      >
      >Roger,
      >
      >I'm going to wear my ACW brogans. My complaint was specifically about
      >visibly "modern" footwear such as parade boots and lug-soled Caterpillar
      >boots, etc. My understanding is that soldier's footwear changed very
      little
      >during the 19th century and that the correct shoe for 1812 should be a
      >straight last low quarter type with 2 hole laces and the rough side out,
      but
      >a pair of gaiters covers many sins.

      As well as being the era of the last gasp of the buckled shoe.

      This is one of the reasons why gaiters
      >have gained a bad reputation in ACW, by the way - at one time people
      thought
      >they could wear anything under them and get away without buying brogans.
      >The ACW scene has moved beyond that, now, however, and showing up in
      "farby"
      >footwear is a sure way to get icy stares. We need a little more of that in
      >other time periods.
      >
      >KYPD,
      >
      >Andrew

      Good point- no, we weren't going to wear combat boots, but I wear some AWI
      shoes which look about right, and others have ACW brogans as well, but some
      sort of standardisation would be good.

      FWIW at a BAR RevWar event at Ft Lee, NJ in Nov 1998, some Highlander
      private was spotted wearing black Nikes with his baghose and kilt, much to
      the consternation of others in other units present. Some of the public
      noticed, and commented on it as well. (He didn't even cover them up with
      gaiters....probably a newbie, but the fact that the unit allowed him to
      dress like that in front of the public surely doesn't speak well for said
      unit....)

      RF
      3/95th