Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Farbs = Unsafe?

  • crttop7311@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 1969
      Let me see, I have been staying out of this discussion re: farbs=unsafe however I would like to comment on some of the posts,

      Benteen says horses are less brave than riders when it comes to challenging a sword-wielding footman...I believe that Tim would take issue with that comment, considering the loss of his headgear at Mississenewa last year. Steve Abolt can attest to the fact that bayoneted muskets are not really a deterrant to horseman either, especially lancers. Now, pipers scare the hell out me, but they don't seem to faze my horse. Spontoon wielding sergeants, now they are intimidating as hell, a spontoon doesn't fire blanks.

      In trying to unhorse riders waving ones arms wildly about their head will work, once or twice. After that, assuming the horse has any measure of intelligence they will disregard this maneuver. If it does work you are then faced with a loose horse, personally I have seen more people injured by loose horses than those with riders firmly attached. Even if the individual is an idiot and acting in an unsafe manner is it best to unseat them just to prove a point?

      I personally do not think so. Sometimes the best course of action is inaction...it takes two to dance. If you refuse to engage the offending individuals generally they will go away. It is no fun playing by yourself. Or, better yet, take the problems up with the event sponsors. This worked well with Carl at Mississenewa, he hasn't returned, has he?

      Incidentally, bulking all of the Dragoons at Mississenewa into one category and off-handedly referring to us ACW types in such a derogatory manner wasn't really that couth. There are numerous individuals that will attest to our willingness to learn and correct our impression as new knowledge is gained. I, like Steve (Allie)would challenge anyone to look at my personal kit and my horses accoutrement. If there is fault found, I would welcome the information needed to correct any short-comings.

      Eric Matthews,
      U.S.L.D., 14th L.D., et al....
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2000
        In a message dated 6/28/2000 6:55:31 PM Central Daylight Time, HQ93rd@...
        writes:

        << Not only did they do those incident's Len described, but I can still
        clearly
        recall Mr. L himself riding up to the British square with sabre waving and
        trying to whack at bayonets. He also said in a 'stage whisper" to some of
        the
        musketmen, and I quote-- "Take off that bayonet and come out and spar with
        me". As I was standing right behind the men he was saying this to, and being
        the nearest officer, I replied whilst pointing my sword at him, in full
        stage
        voice (and those what know me know how loud THAT is) "F___ OFF!" He did.
        I recall the good Tim having a few private words with the man explaining
        how
        "things" are in the 1812 period, both historically and reenacment-wise. In
        one ear and out the other. >>

        Light dawns! Yes indeed, I actually had that incident pegged at another site
        entirely! To Martins credit that didn't happen again. I do like the way my
        brain filters out the people with whom I prefer to have no dealings.

      • allies@ruralnet1.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2000
          At 03:30 PM 6/28/00 -0700, you wrote:
          Len,
          That had to be before I started coming to the event, I never hasve seen a
          revolver and none of my people have ever shot point blank at anyone.
          Stephen Allie

          >HotBot - Search smarter.
          >http://www.hotbot.com

          >Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to table saws.

          square miles...

        • allies@ruralnet1.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2000
            At 07:53 PM 6/28/00 EDT, you wrote:

            >In a message dated 28/6/2000 3:32:01 PM, lheidebrecht@... writes:
            >
            ><<
            >All a bit of a jolly tale now looking back, but also a head-shaker.
            >Cheers!
            >Benton,
            This may be why I am doing more 1812 events and damn few ACW events
            Stephen
            >Want insight into hot IPOs, investing strategies and stocks to watch?
            >Red Herring FREE newsletters provide strategic analysis for investors.

            square miles...

          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2000
              In a message dated 6/29/2000 12:53:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
              crttop7311@... writes:

              << Benteen says horses are less brave than riders when it comes to
              challenging a sword-wielding footman...I believe that Tim would take issue
              with that comment, considering the loss of his headgear at Mississenewa last
              year. >>

              Oh I don't Know about that Eric. If you recall I ended up with one of your
              troopers as prisoner with the sole use of my sword. No a bad exchange :-)

            • Len Heidebrecht
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2000
                Hmmm, that WAS a good hat though...
                --

                HotBot - Search smarter.
                http://www.hotbot.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29, 2000
                  At 03:06 PM 6/29/00 -0700, you wrote:
                  > Hmmm, that WAS a good hat though...

                  Wait till you see what we are wearing this year, we were taken by that hat.
                  Stephen
                  >--
                  >

                  >HotBot - Search smarter.
                  >http://www.hotbot.com

                  >Special Offer-Earn 300 Points from MyPoints.com for trying @Backup
                  >Get automatic protection and access to your important computer files.
                  >Install today:

                  square miles...

                • David Bennett
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 29, 2000
                    --- Stephen Allie wrote: In WarOf1812@egroups.com, allies@r... Steve Allie wrote:> At 03:30 PM 6/28/00 -0700, you wrote:>> That had to be before I started coming to the event, I never hasve seen a> revolver and none of my people have ever shot point blank at anyone. > Stephen Allie> >> >David Bennett wrote: Yes the troops they are discussing is Karl Luthins unit. Not only did some carry revolvers, they all carried 1840 light artillery sabres, and grimsley saddles. It was a sad day. Underneath their hunting shirts their Fruit of the loom T shirts were clearly visable. They were there for one reason, Gary Foreman was doing some filming. Therefore, unless a movie is being shot again at Mississinewa....I doubt you will ever see Karl again. Anyone who even thinks that the Kentucky mounted men or Allie's dragoons would carry percussion weapons or anything that is not authentic, ....well....simply put "Are Pis___g up a rope."This discussion reminds me of my customers, this happend 7 years ago and we are still digging it up for discussion? Talk about riding a dead horse.Hey Steve ..... Saw you at Wilson's Creek, didn't get a chance to say hey,David Bennett 1st U.S. Ifantry. SEMPER PRIMUS! > >> >> >HotBot - Search smarter.> >http://www.hotbot.com> >> >------------------------------------------------------------------------> >Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to table saws.> >http://click.egroups.com/1/4634/9/_/501103/_/962231461/> >------------------------------------------------------------------------> >> >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds of> square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of> square miles...> >> >
                  • HQ93rd@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 30, 2000
                      In a message dated 29/6/2000 10:53:52 AM, crttop7311@... writes:

                      << Benteen says horses are less brave than riders when it comes to
                      challenging a sword-wielding footman...I >>

                      I never!
                      I recounted telling off one fellow astride a horse whilst I was in square.
                      Burblegurblebumph!
                      ;-)
                    • allies@ruralnet1.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 30, 2000
                        Anyone who even thinks that the Kentucky mounted men or Allie's dragoons
                        would carry percussion weapons or anything that is not authentic,
                        ...well...simply put "Are Pis___g up a rope."This discussion reminds me of
                        my customers, this happend 7 years ago and we are still digging it up for
                        discussion? Talk about riding a dead horse.Hey Steve ..... Saw you at
                        Wilson's Creek, didn't get a chance to say hey,David Bennett 1st U.S.
                        Ifantry. SEMPER PRIMUS! > >> >>
                        Hey Dave thanks for your endorsement, by they way I was caring Flints at
                        Wilson's Creek as well, Your people looked good, nice tosee early war done
                        right!!!! Steve
                        >HotBot - Search smarter.> >http://www.hotbot.com> >>
                        >------------------------------------------------------------------------>
                        >Accurate impartial advice on everything from laptops to table saws.>
                        >http://click.egroups.com/1/4634/9/_/501103/_/962231461/>
                        >> >The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over the fate of hundreds
                        of> square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of
                        THOUSANDS of> square miles...> >> >

                        >Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
                        >@Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
                        >your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.

                        square miles...