Re: Fort York Festival

  • Chris Wattie
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2000
      > OK- A show of hands- what units are attending??
      IMUC will not be at the Saturday battles
      (dammit!) due to a previous
      commitment. We do however intend to
      be there Sunday and heartily support
      the Friends of Fort York and their
      initiative in organizing such an
      ambitious event.
      As for the rest of this reply ... well, it's
      just about the most hilarious thing I've
      read all week.
      Pity you were probably serious ...

      > As I have said, and I've heard it from others, a BIG reason 1812 is
      so small
      > (and insular) is its collective (not individual) willingness to
      chuck
      > history out the window for the sake of expediency. Conscientious
      people take
      > one look at an event where ACW, 1812 and AWI units are on the field
      at the
      > same time, laugh, shake their heads and walk away. And we wonder
      why the
      > numbers are dwindling?.....

      Speak for yourself mate, our numbers
      are rising and my impressionistic
      count of attendance at events over the
      past 5 years is that it has been steadily
      growing.

      > they'll probably treat the whole thing at Ft York as a joke. Woe
      betide any
      > unit who gets them as 1812 reenactors- these guys are already farbs
      by their
      > very presence.
      I particularly like this bit: isn't it nice
      to be able to make such a scathing
      judgment on a group you haven't seen,
      let alone met?
      Really, you're cracking me up ...