Re: Scholarly Myths

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 1999
      >With one or two notable examples Jim (David Candler is the most eminent)
      >academics are the ones most critical of re-enactors. If someone who prides
      >themselves on pure research is spreading erroneous information because they
      >have been too lazy to check secondary information with primary sources, you
      >bet your life they need criticizing!
      >
      >What other ideas might they be trying to get across that are complete tosh?
      >
      >Cheers
      >
      >Tim

      As the Germans say, "Probieren geht ueber Studieren"....

      Ivory tower academics pass around a lot of untested info, and assertions,
      unless tested and confirmed by their peers, end up as accepted fact, not
      just in history and reenacting, but also in such fields as law (Big 2nd
      Amendment debate going on in Massachusetts right now- much like what the
      BNALHA went through before the Canadian Parliament a while ago), so, just
      because a Ph. D. says it's so, doesn't necessarily mean it's true.

      But- unlike most secondary research regarding the 95th and other rifle
      regt's, David Chandler's is apparently pretty good. Mr Chandler, who is
      recovering from a recent stroke, is an old friend of Les Handscombe's 1/95th
      reenactment unit in the UK.

      RF
      3/95th
    • BritcomHMP@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 1999
        fullerfamily@... writes:

        << unlike most secondary research regarding the 95th and other rifle
        regt's, David Chandler's is apparently pretty good. Mr Chandler, who is
        recovering from a recent stroke, is an old friend of Les Handscombe's 1/95th
        reenactment unit in the UK. >>

        Absolutely (and of course you realised that in my original post I meant
        exceptions NOT examples) David and I have been friends for the last 25 years,
        and as most people in the group should be aware, he was one of the founders of
        re-enactment in the UK along with Brigadier Peter Young. As well as being the
        first honorary member of the Napoleonic Association.
        Much of the academic world said rather snide things about David only to be
        knocked for six when he got his Doctorate from Oxford on the body of his work
        (very rare) putting him in the 'Fortescue' bracket. In fact he is the only
        historian this century to receive this kind of Doctorate this century without
        (yet) being knighted.

        David's stroke was several years ago, he has just been seriously ill though
        but is recovering splendidly.