Re: How to load a musket

  • Roger Fuller
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 1, 1999
      >From: SACBG7@...
      >
      >Benton,
      >I am curious as to what caliber of ball you are using to load five rounds
      per
      >minute live? Not having studied British ordnance specs I am curious to
      their
      >regulation size.

      Steve,

      in the AWI, and I should imagine, in the War of 1812, standard Brit. Army
      ball sizes raged from approx. .65 to about .69 cal. , despite the .75
      caliber bore of the Short Land Pattern Musket. This was obviously done to
      ensure fast loading for volley fire; accuracy was of a secondary concern.
      Wadded up cartridge paper and black powder fouling took care of the windage,
      but with the passage of several shots, even these undersize loads get tough
      to ram down the barrel. (I speak from personal experience.)

      Try doing that on a modern repro with .735 ball- after a few shots without
      wiping down the inside of the barrel with a cleaning jag and wet patches,
      you _will_ get the ball jammed 1/2 way down and have to get a steel rod to
      tap it down onto the charge (don't use your thumbs while doing it...).
      Therefore, I stick to a maximum size ball of .715 for my Bess when shooting
      live.

      The Baker? From what I have read in Howard Blackmore's book on Brit firearms
      (forget the title), the ball size was between .58 to .60 caliber. Much finer
      tolerances required much more frequent and thorough maintenance of the
      weapon.

      Roger
      3/95th Foot
    • NINETY3RD@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 1999
        In a message dated 01/3/1999 12:53:59 PM, SACBG7@... writes:

        >Benton,
        >I am curious as to what caliber of ball you are using to load five rounds
        >per
        >minute live? Not having studied British ordnance specs I am curious to
        >their
        >regulation size.

        Off the top of me head I cannot recall the exact .0936458 whatever
        measurements, but it is indeed the regulation size for a .75 Brown Bess.
        By the by, the same fellow uses his Bess to hunt deer with. This past season
        was the first since I have known him not to bring one back.

        Cheerios and Wheaties!