Burning of York?

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 1999
      I would like your views on the Burning of York. While reading Berton's
      account of this battle he states that their is no proof that the town
      was burned on purpose by American forces, he says that it was burned
      by individual American sailors who wore no uniform???? In Wesley
      Turners account he states that the Americans were ordered not to loot
      or burn the town but during their six days in York the American did
      indeed loot houses and stores and burn government buildings and one
      private schooner. I am looking for more accounts that say the U.S.
      forces did not burn the town of York. Does anyone know of any other
      accounts of the Battle of York that support Berton's view? I would be
      very interested in other points of view from members on this list.

      Rob Taylor

      ==
      War of 1812 Website: http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/