Re: Lundy's Lane etc.

  • R Henderson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 1999
      Just a quick note to Rob T. and Richard F,

      Thanks for your comments. The list I posted on Lundy's Lane was some quick observations by Don G. Yes a number of accounts show the British on the field (great
      submission Richard detailing each account), however I am not sure if Don was referring to which part of the field with his comment. Really its a splitting hairs
      exercise. Again, as I mentioned before, unfortunately Lundy's Lane cannot be treated as a black and white "who won". Everyone is crazy to try. The fact is US Army of
      1813 would not have stood up to the pounding the Left Division gave them at Lundy's Lane. One last comment that Don G. sent me on the subject:

      "When you get right down to it, LL was the worst kind of battle, an
      unplanned meeting engagement with continuous reinforcement on both sides.
      At its end, both armies had fought themselves to a standstill and neither
      was really in shape to resume active fighting."

      Lundy's Lane = stalemate

      Not a conclusion that will ever make the masses happy. (O.K., O.K. I think Lundy's Lane has died more times than its combatants - on to new topics).

      As for Don's new book on Crysler's Farm (really US 1813 campaign on Montreal), he sent the manuscript off to the publishers today for printing in May. However I hope to
      have some excerpts from it on my website in the next week or so (free time allowing) .

      All the best,

      Robert

      Experience the War of 1812 at: http://www3.sympatico.ca/dis.general/1812.htm