Re: Battle of Lundy's Lane

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1 2:32 AM
      Andrew wrote:
      Rob could you supply more info,reference, for the
      comment re arnolds son and the British (lysle's dragoons) first time I
      have heard of this unit and am interested.

      Rob:
      It comes from Donald E. Graves book "Where Right and Glory Lead!
      The Battle of Lundy's Lane" P. 139
      second paragraph. "Twylight was turning to dusk and visibility was
      fast fading but Jesup could see Lysle's dragoons at the junction and
      prepared to attack them. To his disappointment - as staionary cavalry
      would have been vulnerable to a bayonet charge - the British horsemen
      withdrew. Jesup would have been even more disappointed if he had known
      that one of the dragoons riding away that night was Lieutenant William
      Arnold, the twenty - year - old son of Benedict Arnold".
      That's all it says about it, but I found it interesting.

      Rob Taylor
      ==
      War of 1812 Website: http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/
    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2002
        Today is the 188th anniversary of the battle of Lundy's Lane. Let us
        not forget those who fought and died in this battle.

        British Officers Killed
        Capt Spooner 89th Reg't
        Lieut Moorsom, 104th Reg't
        Lieut Hemphill, 1st Reg't (Royal Scots)