Re: Another request for info

  • DM Carpenter
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 1999
      First off, a very good work on the development of Warfare, and ancillary technological benefit to man is THE ART OF WAR IN THE WESTERN WORLD. As of this moment, I am fed
      and too damned lazy to lurch up and hunt that book down. If needed, later, I can provide more information.

      It is my belief that Warfare has most benefited man by forcing acceleration of technologies and change. Understand, that preparations for war can also lend benefit.
      My list is disorganized and put together in an 'oh yeah, that too' fashion.

      Transportation has benefited a great deal from warfare, as the ability to rapidly deploy and supply troops is never a mistake.
      Examples:
      The Roman road network.
      Development of rail networks
      Development of Autobahn/Interstate networks
      Aviation/space technology in general
      Panama/Suez Canals
      Steam Turbine technology (first developed for warships)

      Medical:

      Without specific example, much investigation and research has been/is being conducted for
      originally military necessity that transfers to the civilian sector.

      Industry:

      Industry always receives an injection of capital during times of war, allowing for expansions of
      capabilities and technologies.
      Alloying, flat screen technologies, GPS, composite materials, Velcro, Computers (First used by Bletchley Park and Manhattan/Tube Alloy projects.
      Nuclear power.
      Many of the industrial uses may have been conceptualized first in the civilian sector, but
      military necessity allowed for the 'blank check' and the time needed to get over teething problems.
      Stockholders/boards would probably not have backed many projects, nor had the patience to allow
      fruitful endings.

      OK, blather mode *off*

      Dave