Re: [WarOf1812] razor straps

  • lee caripidis
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
      I have indeed read on several occasions about the taking of the skin off
      dead indians' thighs for use as razor strops. Try as I might, though, I
      can't remember where I read this but the books of Allen Eckert come
      repeatedly to mind.
      Lee.
    • Tracy Forsyth
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
        Thank you Lloyd but thats about all the detail I can digest in one
        day!
        When I first read it I thought they meant the Indian but it is never
        mentioned as much as Indian Scalping is in the books.This makes one
        realize that a lot of History recounted is one sided and not fair to
        the Indians>
        White men were as cruel to the Indians as the Indians were to the
        white man. Thank you for the replies.
        Tracy

        > Unfortunatly the native americans skin .
        > I dont care to relate just how far this practice went , I am
        familiar with
        > it and if you need more detail contact me directly .1 by cutting
        around the
        > thy and the knee and pealing all the flesh off one could acquire
        boot tops .
        > Female breasts were used for tobacco pouches , at that if you want
        more
        > contact me direct , it gets much worse . Lloyd
      • MAXINE TROTTIER
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
          Where did you read that about Tecumseth?
          Max

          Maxine Trottier
          maxitrot@...
          http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

        • james barnwell
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
            I have read that Tecumseh was used for this purpose.

            http://click.egroups.com/1/4054/7/_/501103/_/960232315/

            > > The War of 1812: In Europe, thousands fought over
            > the fate of hundreds of
            > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined
            > the fate of THOUSANDS of
            > square miles...

            Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
            http://photos.yahoo.com
          • james barnwell
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
              I believe it was in my newest War of 1812 book by
              Henry Adams.This is a reprint of his 1888 book for the
              U.S.Army march 1944.
              --- MAXINE TROTTIER <maxitrot@...> wrote:
              > Where did you read that about Tecumseth?
              > Max
              >
              > Maxine Trottier
              > maxitrot@...
              > http://www.execulink.com/~maxitrot/maxine.htm

              > removed]

              Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
              http://photos.yahoo.com
            • Kevin Windsor
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
                You are correct Scott. Speaking of the 6 nations, which is the only group
                I know anything about, they wore clothes pretty much the same as the
                europeans, but with their native and cultural flairs added

                ----------

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
                  this could be true and also could not be true. They were never really sure
                  if it was him or not!

                  ----------

                  > I believe it was in my newest War of 1812 book by
                  > Henry Adams.This is a reprint of his 1888 book for the
                  > U.S.Army march 1944.
                • james barnwell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
                    Guess we learned it from a good ole boy name of
                    Jeffery Amherst,who during Pontiac's Rebellion,gave
                    Indians blankets infected with smallpox.
                    --- Craig Williams <sgtwarnr@...> wrote:
                    > If your really interested in knowing the depths that
                    > humans can sink to in
                    > this vein then I strongly suggest that you read
                    > "Bury My Heart At Wounded
                    > Knee" by Dee Brown which has just been republished
                    > recently. It gives an
                    > unblinking examination of the official and
                    > unofficial policies regarding
                    > Native Americans by the US Government. It's quite
                    > alarming.
                    > Craig

                    Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
                    http://photos.yahoo.com
                  • Craig Williams
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
                        Yes Mr. Brown does cover Amherst. But where it begins it does not
                        necessarily end and there should never be good students of this sort but
                        don't take my word for it , please read Mr. Browns book.
                        Craig
                      • Len Heidebrecht
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 5, 2000
                          The use of human skin as a leather is quite well documented, William Wallace's sword hilt is one good example. I have an 1880s encyclopedea of leather works which details the proper curing of same.
                          Len
                          --

                          HotBot - Search smarter.
                          http://www.hotbot.com