razor straps

  • Tracy Forsyth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2000
      Hello everyone

      I have a book Called "Footprints in the Snow"By Robert Livesey (The
      Defenders) Footprints is an educational book for school use listing 100
      famous people and their famous deeds.
      Tecumseh pg 38 & 39 "The Indian Leader was killed ....When
      American troops went looking for Tecumseh's body after the battle they did
      not find it.(It was custom for U.S. soldiers to cut strips of skin from dead
      Indians to make razor straps)His Indian friends had buried their leader in
      an unmarked grave somewhere in Southwestern Ontario."

      Has anyone else heard of this act that can elaborate on which skin they
      are referring to either the Indian himself or the skins he is wearing? It
      sounds crazy but it is not well explained in the book and during the War of
      1812 anything is possible! I hope it is their clothing!!
      Tracy