: canadian Educational system Gr7 History

  • Tracy Forsyth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hello everyone

      The school curriculm has chaged in 1997/1998 the grade 7 history now has 3
      strands
      ,New France,British North America,Conflict and Change,
      They are to learn the significance of the War of 1812 for Canadians
      /American Relations
      Learn about Loyalists
      causes and personalities of the War of 1812
      achievements and contributions of Sir John Graves Simcoe
      Impact of Developements of Canada eg.building of Fortifications,Rideau
      Canal,Kingston Rd (?),movement of the capital to Bytown (ottawa)
      to mention a few.More info can be found at
      http://www.edu.gov.on.ca
      then you go ciiriculm then elementry and history 7&8

      It is pretty in depth what these kids are to learn
      HOWEVER it all depends on the teachers interest or knowledge on how in depth
      the class is taught> My kids go to a k-6 school and when we share our
      knowledge of war of 1812 the teachers are clueless and in awe 0f our
      knowledge.

      I am reading my kids the story of Tecumsuh (not the best bed time story when
      the Indians burn a whiteman after shooting him to finish him off)However
      they are enjoying the other parts of the story (It is geared to kids)
      Whenever my kids grade 1 &3 have some kind of assignment if I can I try to
      put it into War of 1812 theme.
      Such as music from another culture she brought in a drum and fife tape.
      Musical instrument too bring in was their fife.

      Unfortunately schools are only as good as their teachers.

      Tracy