Re: [WarOf1812] Re: Stoney Creek encampment News

  • BritcomHMP@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , May 31, 2000
      In a message dated 5/30/2000 7:34:38 PM Central Daylight Time,
      sgtwarnr@... writes:

      << Actually Tim I notice also that a good number of the British dead at
      Lundys
      Lane were also buried in uniform as they have excavated actual fragments of
      uniforms(fabric!). I wonder if it is a case of the uniform being the
      property of the desceased. The accoutrements were of continued value and the
      property of the army but not the uniforms. >>

      Yes Craig you are quite correct, the uniform was the personal property of the
      soldier, unlike the kit. I can only assume that the better supply to the
      Canadas meant that there was no shortage, as in Spain, and therefore a
      soldier could have more of a decent burial. Remember in Spain supplies were
      so bad even material for patches was at a premium. Lace and buttons were all
      but unobtainable, Wellington wanted food and ammunition as a priority.