Re: [WarOf1812] 1812 and Canada coming of age

  • Scott Jeznach
    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2000
      >Bitching about our education system and/or history is a Canadian Right
      >(TM), just like bitching about the CBC or wringing our hands over Quebec
      >:)
      >And wasn't the Star Spangled Banner originally a poem, not put to music
      >until many years later?
      >Chris W

      Believe me Chris, our public education system is declining at a rapid pace
      also.

      Yes, the "Star Spangled Banner" was originally a poem. It wasn't until
      years later it was adapted to the popular drinking song "On Anacreon In
      Heaven," which I believe was popular because it is so difficult to sing, it
      could be hysterical to listen to a drunk trying to sing it. It wasn't
      chosen as our National Anthem until the early 20th century, winning out over
      the song "Chester" by one vote.

      Scott J.
      Royal Marines