1812 and Canada coming of age

  • tlubka@pathcom.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2000
      > I think the reason for this ignoring of 1812 is what we have seen recently - the belief that Canada 'came of age' at Vimy Ridge.<

      I agree with this statement made by Raymond but I think that the Canadian Government will not support any offical recognition of any Canadian/British military actions prior to Confederation 1867. In the last 20 years the government has even changed the curiculum in schools to make history more appealing to resent immigrants. They do this by minimizing the British influence in early Canadian history. Sounds like they are re-writing it to me.
      If it were not for us 1812 reenactors I think this war would be long forgotten by the majority of people.

      Terry.
      .