Another request for info

  • Rob Taylor
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 1999
      Here is another question I got from someone ... any of you smart
      peoplpe out there care to field this one it is from someone named Ryan.

      Hello,
      I am doing an SLP. My thesis statement was "wars disastrous effects
      have also led to the significant progress of man." Well, my question
      to you is,
      "do you know of anything in the War of 1812, or any other war, that
      would have led to the significant progress of man.

      Thank You. Hope to hear from you soon.
      Ryan

      ==
      War of 1812 Website: http://members.tripod.com/~war1812/
    • DM Carpenter
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 28, 1999
        First off, a very good work on the development of Warfare, and ancillary technological benefit to man is THE ART OF WAR IN THE WESTERN WORLD. As of this moment, I am fed
        and too damned lazy to lurch up and hunt that book down. If needed, later, I can provide more information.

        It is my belief that Warfare has most benefited man by forcing acceleration of technologies and change. Understand, that preparations for war can also lend benefit.
        My list is disorganized and put together in an 'oh yeah, that too' fashion.

        Transportation has benefited a great deal from warfare, as the ability to rapidly deploy and supply troops is never a mistake.
        Examples:
        The Roman road network.
        Development of rail networks
        Development of Autobahn/Interstate networks
        Aviation/space technology in general
        Panama/Suez Canals
        Steam Turbine technology (first developed for warships)

        Medical:

        Without specific example, much investigation and research has been/is being conducted for
        originally military necessity that transfers to the civilian sector.

        Industry:

        Industry always receives an injection of capital during times of war, allowing for expansions of
        capabilities and technologies.
        Alloying, flat screen technologies, GPS, composite materials, Velcro, Computers (First used by Bletchley Park and Manhattan/Tube Alloy projects.
        Nuclear power.
        Many of the industrial uses may have been conceptualized first in the civilian sector, but
        military necessity allowed for the 'blank check' and the time needed to get over teething problems.
        Stockholders/boards would probably not have backed many projects, nor had the patience to allow
        fruitful endings.

        OK, blather mode *off*

        Dave