Re: War of 1812

  • Andrew S. Finch
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 1999
      What everybody seems to be saying is that there is a separate Canadian and
      British identity at the time of the war yet I do not believe this was the
      case.
      The overwhelming view would be that the people believed themselves to be
      British
      On another trac perhaps Tim could give us some numbers but I do not believe
      the British land forces were any where as big s Russia, Prussia or Austria.
      So when we refer to Britain as a great power the reference should be a great
      maritime power .
      There isn't on battle when British land forces got over 80,000 as far as I
      know

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 1999
        According to the Canadian History Channel
        they will be featuring the movie
        The War of 1812
        on Wednesday and Thursday evening.
        I believe this is the film that was filmed
        at Mississinewa and Fort George as
        well as other locations.
        Grab a VCR tape, as I am sure our
        American, New Zealand and British
        mates will want a copy.
        Larry
      • Greg Butt
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 1999
          Don't forget your Aussie mates as well!!

          Sgt Gregory Butt
          73rd Regt. of Foot, New South Wales, Australia
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 1999
            Dear List

            On this note, would any generous list members be willing to send copies
            of any 1812 re-enactment videos to a poor, deprived Brit who is
            suffering from 1812 deficiency? :-) NTSC is no problem as I have a dual
            purpose video, and anything I can provide in return I shall try to do.

            Allan Jones

            > Larry Lozon wrote:
            >
            > According to the Canadian History Channel
            > they will be featuring the movie
            > The War of 1812
            > on Wednesday and Thursday evening.
            > I believe this is the film that was filmed
            > at Mississinewa and Fort George as
            > well as other locations.
            > Grab a VCR tape, as I am sure our
            > American, New Zealand and British
            > mates will want a copy.
            > Larry

          • Rob Taylor
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 1999
              Allen:
              They are showing the mini-series again this
              Sunday. I will mail it to you if you like. Contact me
              directly at
              niagara_falls_98@...

              Rob Taylor

              --- Allan and Rosemary Jones
              <allan@...> wrote:
              > Dear List
              >
              > On this note, would any generous list members be
              > willing to send copies
              > of any 1812 re-enactment videos to a poor, deprived
              > Brit who is
              > suffering from 1812 deficiency? :-) NTSC is no
              > problem as I have a dual
              > purpose video, and anything I can provide in return
              > I shall try to do.
              >
              > Allan Jones
              >
              > > Larry Lozon wrote:
              > >
              > > According to the Canadian History Channel
              > > they will be featuring the movie
              > > The War of 1812
              > > on Wednesday and Thursday evening.
              > > I believe this is the film that was filmed
              > > at Mississinewa and Fort George as
              > > well as other locations.
              > > Grab a VCR tape, as I am sure our
              > > American, New Zealand and British
              > > mates will want a copy.
              > > Larry

              > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
              > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
              > of square miles...

              <HR>

              =====
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 5, 2000
                Henry Clay was so confident of an easy victory in a
                strike across the border that he said, "I trust I
                shall not be presumptuous when I state that I verily
                believe that the militia of Kentucky alone are
                competent to place Montreal and Upper Canada at your
                feet." He estimated that it would take the American
                troops no more than four weeks to overrun and hold the
                important regions of British North America. Thomas
                Jefferson stated that it would be "a mere matter of
                marching"
                Many people find it unpatriotic to adhere to the
                facts. After failing to capture Canada the U.S. found
                themselves fighting a defensive war to save their own
                country. At one point Mr. Madison (the U.S. President)
                was even hiding in the hills of Virginia because the
                captial of the country "Washington" had been attacked
                and was burning. When the war was over the only
                American soldiers left in Canada were prisoners of
                war, yet a great deal of America was occupied by
                British forces, Maine, Fort Niagara, Fort Mackinac to
                name but a few. These were returned to the United
                States via the Treaty of Ghent, this was a credit to
                the American negotiators. In short America did not
                obtain any of their military goals. In the New England
                state they even considered secession, feeling that the
                war was unjust and fought for reasons other than
                stated by the war hawks. Many have said that after
                this conflict, Great Britain's interference in
                American affairs ended, so in some way this is a
                victory. But the truth be told it was not the war in
                North America that won America the right of being left
                alone, but the greater war in Europe that did. With
                Napoleon defeated and Great Britain supreme at sea the
                world was to see a relative peace for a hundered
                years. And in this time of peace America was safe, and
                grew strong. So when a country is invaded, and they
                defend said country, they win in my book. No offense
                intended.

                Rob Taylor

                http://mail.yahoo.com/
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                  From: : Ed Bolla"<Armchairadm@...>

                  " ..... Nice to see that Canadians have there own version ......."

                  Have you noticed that .....

                  American authors write:
                  ~ Americans won the War of 1812 at New Orleans .....

                  British/Canadian authors write:
                  ~ British won the War of 1812 at Queenston Heights ....

                  Canadian authors who live east of Lake Erie:
                  ~ never mentioned the War west of Niagara ......

                  ~ some only use one or two books as gospel ..........
                  ( Regimental records have a wealth of information)

                  ~ most, only know about the War in their back yards .........

                  ~ overweight and older re-enactors want to be elite troops ........
                  (we should all be 10th Royal Veteran Battalion!)

                  ~ most want others to do their research for them ......FREE .......

                  ~ most want to start their own unit, instead of raising a company
                  of an established group who have the research ............

                  ~ think that their Regiment won the War of 1812 ... single handed!

                  ~ think they need a Circus size tent for a weekend .......

                  ~ are afraid an Umbrella Group will not allow them to do what is
                  historically incorrect ...........

                  ~ New Osprey Books have the same photos as in the others ..........

                  ~ those who bitch about an event, haven't attended it in 5 years ......

                  I rec'd this from a seasoned 1812 re-enactor, and I have to agree
                  with HER!!!

                  PS: BRAVO Mr. Pickles !!!
                  BRAVO Mr. Harris !!!

                  BRAVO Mr. Bolla, love your statement:

                  "I'd rather be Historically Accurate
                  than Politically Correct"

                  It fits so beautiful with HER last statement:

                  ~ when re-constructing a fort, the restoration has to be politically
                  correct ........

                  Yours,

                  L Lozon

                  " west of the Niagara Area "
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                    From: : Ed Bolla"<Armchairadm@...>

                    " ..... Nice to see that Canadians have there own version ......."

                    --------

                    -----------

                  • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                      Dear Mr Lozon,

                      I heartly concur with the views that you forwarded re: bias and
                      preferences of many in the re-enacting fields [ pun intended ;>) ].

                      \Warm regards,

                      Bob Dorian
                    • Cpl. Wattie <cwattie@nationalpost.com>
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2002
                        > ~ think they need a Circus size tent for a weekend .......
                        You mean like the one all the ossifers loaf around in? ;-)
                      • alliesofheronsandottawawarparty
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 14, 2009
                          if any group need natives war party at battles we would be happy to help out the war of 1812
                        • Tom Hurlbut
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 14, 2009
                            Where are you based?

                            "Major" Tom

                            if any group need natives war party at battles we would be happy to help out the war of 1812