time to register for the 4th annual living history conference

  • Tom Ross
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 1999
      The following is a text version of our brouchure.Conference Registration Form
      Name:__________________________
      Organization:_________________________
      ___________________________________
      Address:____________________________
      ___________________________________
      Phone:_________________________
      E-mail:_________________________
      Rank Order Your Seminar Choices
      { } Fortification { } Prince Charles
      { } Iroquois Warfare { }Story Telling
      { } Role of Blacks { }Eldon House
      { } 18th & 19th c Music { } Architecture
      { } Role of Women { } Internet
      { } Safety & Food Preparation
      { } Calvary Portrayals
      { } Medieval Living History
      { } Mourning Customs
      { } Waisting Away
      { } Officer & Gentleman { } WWI I

      To register:
      Please check & total your payment
      ( ) Full Conference x #___people
      Cost $35 per person
      ( ) Grand Ball x # ___people
      $15 per person or $25 per couple
      Total fee submitted $_______
      ( ) Sutlers max #2. free admission with
      donation to silent auction
      ( ) # sutler tables required
      Please make cheque payable to: Upper
      Thames Military Re-enactment Society
      send registration to 29 Havenridge Cres,
      London, Ontario, Canada N6H 4L5
      For other information call 519-473-9671 or
      email rosst@...
      Those who come in costume will be eligible
      for door prizes!

      Receipt of payment can be issued at the workshop.

      About Our Key Note Speaker

      Carl Benn Ph.D., has worked in the
      heritage field for over 25 years and is
      currently the Curator of the Military
      History for Heritage Toronto. He also
      teaches at the University Of Toronto
      and serves on the Board of the Ontario
      Historical Society. He has published
      many historical and museological
      articles. His current projects include
      curating an exhibit at Fort York, The
      Soldiers' Trade: Weapons, Tactics &
      Uniforms and is writing a book,
      Memoirs of Chief: John Norton. The
      focus of his key lecture is the study of
      the Iroquois in Warfare. He will also
      give a seminar on the Iroquois Way of
      War.

      Trial of General Proctor

      The conference will also feature the
      recreation of the 1815 trial of the
      much-maligned career of General
      Henry Proctor. Come and meet various
      personalities from the past. Will
      history repeat itself ?

      Location

      The conference will be held at the
      Historic Middlesex County Court
      House which is located at the corner of
      Ridout and Dundas Streets in the heart
      of London, Ontario. The Conference
      can be accessed from highway #401 by
      taking Wellington Rd North and
      exiting west at York Street. Follow
      York to Ridout St. and go north one
      block to King St. The County Court
      House is on the north west corner.
      Parking in the rear lot

      London is situated 2 hours drive
      west of Toronto and 2 hours east of
      Detroit.

      Accommodation and Restaurant
      Guide

      Our host hotel will be the luxury
      Station Park All Suite Hotel. The
      special group rate of $110 Cdn
      includes indoor parking. To book your
      accommodation call the hotel directly
      @ 1 800-561-4574 and refer to group
      reservation number 20437. Note
      reservation must be booked no later
      than March 1, 1999.

      Our host restaurant will be the La
      Costa which is situated directly south
      of the court house at 349 Ridout. This
      historic site offers the finest selection
      of Mediterranean cuisine for your
      lunch and evening meals. For dinner
      reservations call 519-432-3222

      Upper Thames Military
      Re-enactment Society

      Presents the
      4 th Annual Living
      History Conference

      Living History Across Time:
      An exchange of ideas

      Saturday April 10, 1999
      Conference 8:50 a.m. - 5:10 p.m.
      Grand Ball 8:00 p.m. - 12 midnight

      Historic Middlesex County Court
      House 399 Ridout St., N.,
      Conference Schedule

      0800-0845 Registration
      0850-0950 General Proctor Trial
      1010-1110 Carl Benn Key Note
      1130-1230 Seminar #1
      1230-1330 Lunch
      1330-1430 Seminar #2
      1450-1550 Seminar #3
      1610-1710 Seminar #4

      Tours of the Court House & First Hussars
      museum throughout the day

      Tour & Tea at Historic Eldon House
      during seminar #1 & # 4

      Lunch Entertainment: folk singer
      Alister Brown

      Grand Ball & Silent Auction
      20:00-24:00
      New Rigged Ship
      Dance Mistress Judy Seely
      Draws for costumed registrants
      Silent auction of donated gifts

      Seminar Presentations:

      Mike Marshall: Basics of FortificationsImpress your fellow historians about your
      knowledge of defensive structures.

      Seminar Presentations:

      Christopher Timm: From "Private to
      Prince- The development of a first
      person persona" The development of
      the persona of Prince Charles Edward
      Stuart.

      Shannon & Bryan Prince: Story
      Telling: Bringing History to Life.
      Take your living history research
      material and put it together through
      the art of story telling.

      Carl Benn :The Iroquois Way of
      War. Learn how the Six Nations'
      tactics allowed the Iroquois to achieve
      their combat objectives while
      preserving their own fragile
      population.

      Ivor Christopher : Role of Blacks in
      the War of 1812 Latest research and
      history of the little known Runchey's
      Co. of Coloured Men.

      Eldon House: Tour London's oldest
      home built in 1834. Meet members of
      the Harris family and have tea in the
      kitchen.

      Seminar Presentations:

      John McMeeKin: Military and
      Popular Music of the 18 th & 19thCentury. An overview of the music
      that would have been played, sung and
      danced at military encampments.

      John Lutman: Architectural Revival
      Styles throughout North America.
      Presented in an audio-visual format
      with specific examples.

      Linda Leopold: The Role of WomenReenacting. This open forum
      discussion will focus on the role of
      women in historical reenactments.

      Alister Neely: Internet Resources for
      the Living History Enthusiasts. An
      overview of living history site on the
      web. This live interactive seminar will
      be of interest to those who would like
      to expand their knowledge of Internet
      sources.

      Daphne Kaminsky: Safety &
      Historical Food Preparation &
      Preserving. This presentation will be
      of interest to all camp followers and
      those wishing to further develop their
      camp presentations.

      Seminar Presentations:

      Andrew Finch: Calvary Reenactment.
      This seminar will focus on the
      development of a living history calvary
      unit including training, tactics and
      accouterments.

      Vanessa Weidman: Medieval Living
      History. A presentation that will focus on
      first person portrayal and educational
      presentations.

      Denise Ward: Mid Victorian Mourning
      Customs.. The social attitudes,
      accessories and attire of the time will be
      examined

      Barry Sandler: Officer & A Gentleman.
      Examine the social class system and the
      role of the gentleman and officer in the
      early 19th century.

      Norman Drouillard: World War II Living
      History. Resources and scenario
      development for the WWII living history
      time period will be reviewed.

      Karen Wells: Waisting Away. An
      overview of construction methods of
      corsets during the 18th & 19th centuries. London, Ontario, Canada.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 1999
        Maybe Brass should pick up James in Windsor,
        and proceed to Chatham and Brenda's.
        Then we should all venture to London
        grab a flea-bag motel and go to the wine & cheese party ...
        .... then if we sleep in we will only be minutes from the swarai.
        Thinking me .......... :-)
        All those who are coming to the living history conference are invited to a wine & cheese reception at the Old court house on Firday the 9th at 7:30 pm. Sutlers may set up as early as 4 pm on the 9th.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 1999
          Sorry I meant to say,
          Shall we dine at the Ritz and
          stay at the Carlton Arms and
          have the limo pick us up after
          a Champagne breakfast :-)

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20, 1999
              A reminder ti all those coming to the conference. Please wear you living history outfits. This will make you eligible for a draw on a framed military print.