Re: [WarOf1812]

  • james barnwell
    Message 1 of 26 , May 27, 2000

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , May 27, 2000
        In a message dated 5/27/2000 3:21:15 PM Central Daylight Time,
        barnlll@... writes:

        << > At this time were the British measuring land
        > distances in miles? Had
        > they ever used leagues? >>

        From the table in The Elements and Science of War by Lt. William Muller
        Kings German Engineers 1811
        There is a list of many countries but these I think are the relevant ones

        Miles measured on a degree of the meridian

        Gt. Britain, old, = 17 Quanantal - - - - 47,60
        Gt. Britain, new = 1760 yards - - - - 69,12
        Gt. Britain, Sea miles - - - - - - 60,00
        Gt. Britain, leagues - - - - - - - 20,00
        London miles = 1666 2/3 yards - - - - 13,00

        So the answer is yes, they did use leagues but not as the standard
        measurement during the war of 1812.

      • crttop7311@aol.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 1, 2000
          The 14th Light Dragoons are listed as an American unit, I note that has been changed as previously, and correctly, they were listed on the British roster.

          E Matthews,
          XIV L.D.
        • Walt Dubbeld
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 1, 2000
            Jeez. Ratpick
            Mess with the order of things all you want, but the 1st. U.S. Light
            Artillery really did exist in 1812
            Walt----- Original Message -----
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 7, 2000
              bigdad@... writes:

              << I may be wrong but I have thought of the War of 1812 as North America's
              first civil war. >>

              Please, while relations from families did fight for both sides during the
              war, this was anything but a civil war! It was plain American aggression.
              Nothing more. Nothing less.

              JG/RE
            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 7, 2000
                In a message dated 8/7/2000 3:57:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
                bigdad@... writes:

                << How did the War of 1812 maintain Canada's independence? My Canadian
                history is a little fuzzy but didn't Canada become a nation around 1867?>>

                Because had Britain and the colonists not been able to throw out the US
                invasion Canada would not have had the opportunity to become independent in
                1867. They would have been 'merkins!

                << I may be wrong but I have thought of the War of 1812 as North America's
                first civil war. A brother against brother affair.>>

                No, that was the Revolutionary War, very much a civil war.

                << The US stood in Great Britons way.>>

                How? And you do know that the US declared the war don't you? (Just checking).

                << The British Empire was not built by anything but military might. >>

                Oh yes it was. It was built on trade, military actions were solely dictated
                on how much cash could be brought back to Britain. America was not brining in
                cash to Britain, in fact the war was draining it, that's why Britain had no
                interest in conquering the US, but the US had a GREAT interest in conquering
                the Canadas.

                << As I've said, these are opinions and not scientific fact. Kind of a
                reading between the lines. Could be right, could be wrong. >>

                Everyone is entitled to an opinion!

              • Dave&Monica Bosse
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 7, 2000
                  Dude,
                  Take a pill. You guys were still a jewel in the english crown at 1812. Rember we do this for fun right? If you got to deep at looking into any conflict you would not want to dress in sweaty wool humping a musket and eating bad food. What ever you think about the war I think we all one. Where else do you have the longest unguarded boarder in the world?

                  Dave Bosse
                  (Americas Friend)

                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 7, 2000
                    --- JGIL1812@... wrote:
                    > Daylight Time,
                    > bigdad@... writes:
                    >
                    > << I may be wrong but I have thought of the War of
                    > 1812 as North America's
                    > first civil war. >>
                    >
                    > Please, while relations from families did fight for
                    > both sides during the
                    > war, this was anything but a civil war! It was plain
                    > American aggression.
                    > Nothing more. Nothing less.
                    >
                    > JG/RE

                    Interesting - that's what a lot of westerners thought
                    of Hudson's bay Company for stirring up the local
                    native population as a way to counter the inroads made
                    by Astor's fur traders. . . .

                    Fitz

                    =====
                    Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

                    "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

                    "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

                    http://invites.yahoo.com/
                  • JGIL1812@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 7, 2000
                      In a message dated 8/7/00 6:04:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time, alaidh@...
                      writes:

                      << that's what a lot of westerners thought
                      of Hudson's bay Company for stirring up the local
                      native population as a way to counter the inroads made
                      by Astor's fur traders. . . . >>

                      Ah but Fritz... the HBC basically owed most of the west at one point. The
                      Northwest Co. was just a poor imitation.

                      JG/RE
                    • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 7, 2000
                        --- JGIL1812@... wrote:
                        > Daylight Time, alaidh@...
                        > writes:
                        >
                        > << that's what a lot of westerners thought
                        > of Hudson's bay Company for stirring up the local
                        > native population as a way to counter the inroads
                        > made
                        > by Astor's fur traders. . . . >>
                        >
                        > Ah but Fritz... the HBC basically owed most of the
                        > west at one point. The
                        > Northwest Co. was just a poor imitation.
                        >
                        > JG/RE

                        Ah - so you're saying that HBC's inciting the natives
                        was not done because they thought that Astor was a
                        threat trade-wise.
                        Okay, I give up.
                        Why did they do it, then?
                        I've never seen any substantiation that there was an
                        actual British government approved conspiricy behind
                        all the border unrest - I just thought that it was HBC
                        taking advantage of an unstable situation to protect
                        the future of their market slice.
                        If I am thus incorrect, what was the real reason HBC
                        was stirring up the redskins?

                        Fitz

                        =====

                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 8, 2000
                          this was written by John R. Elting United States Army
                          (Ret.) not me. He was an American historian:

                          ><Snip>
                          >Some Americans
                          >> have
                          >> seen it as a war of barefaced aggression
                          >> incompetently
                          >> directed, and too often stained by cowardice,
                          >> stupidity, and treason. Something of a national
                          >> disgrace, redeemed only by half-mythical deeds of
                          >> valour. Only the Canadians, who saw it as a
                          >> successful
                          >> war to maintain their independence, could write of
                          >> it
                          >> with pride.
                          >> Rob Taylor

                          http://invites.yahoo.com/
                        • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 8, 2000
                            --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                            > this was written by John R. Elting United States
                            > Army
                            > (Ret.) not me. He was an American historian:
                            >
                            > ><Snip>
                            > >Some Americans
                            > >> have
                            > >> seen it as a war of barefaced aggression
                            > >> incompetently
                            > >> directed, and too often stained by cowardice,
                            > >> stupidity, and treason. Something of a national
                            > >> disgrace, redeemed only by half-mythical deeds of
                            > >> valour. Only the Canadians, who saw it as a
                            > >> successful
                            > >> war to maintain their independence, could write
                            > of
                            > >> it
                            > >> with pride.
                            > >> Rob Taylor

                            I'm familiar with the late Col. Elting's work.
                            Please note that the operative word there is "some".

                            Like in "some" Americans think that Bill Clinton is a
                            decent, honest man who has been victemized by a vast
                            right-wing conspiricy;
                            Or, "some' Canadians think Maggie Trudeau is a shining
                            example of a practicing celibate;
                            Or, "some' people think that Elvis is still alive and
                            living in Edmonton under an assumed name.

                            "some". not all.

                            Fitz

                            =====

                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 8, 2000
                              Rob I think you need some help,

                              this was written by John R. Elting United States Army
                              (Ret.) not me. He was an American historian:

                              ><Snip>
                              >Some Americans
                              >> have
                              >> seen it as a war of barefaced aggression
                              >> incompetently
                              >> directed, and too often stained by cowardice,
                              >> stupidity, and treason. Something of a national
                              >> disgrace, redeemed only by half-mythical deeds of
                              >> valour. Only the Canadians, who saw it as a
                              >> successful
                              >> war to maintain their independence, could write of
                              >> it
                              >> with pride.
                              >> Rob Taylor

                              http://invites.yahoo.com/

                            • Rob Taylor
                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 9, 2000
                                Well Fitz I was just replying to an e:mail saying that
                                I wrote that. As far as Maggie goes I don't know of
                                ANY that thought that.

                                Rob
                                --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

                                > --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > this was written by John R. Elting United States
                                > > Army
                                > > (Ret.) not me. He was an American historian:
                                > >
                                > > ><Snip>
                                > > >Some Americans
                                > of
                                > > of
                                >
                                > I'm familiar with the late Col. Elting's work.
                                > Please note that the operative word there is "some".
                                >
                                > Like in "some" Americans think that Bill Clinton is
                                > decent, honest man who has been victemized by a vast
                                > right-wing conspiricy;
                                > Or, "some' Canadians think Maggie Trudeau is a
                                > shining
                                > example of a practicing celibate;
                                > Or, "some' people think that Elvis is still alive
                                > and
                                > living in Edmonton under an assumed name.
                                >
                                > "some". not all.
                                >

                                > Fitz
                                >
                                > =====
                                > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
                                > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
                                >
                                > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
                                >
                                > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
                                > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
                                > . ."

                                > http://invites.yahoo.com/

                                > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
                                > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                                > of square miles...

                                =====
                                War of 1812 Website: war1812.tripod.com

                                http://invites.yahoo.com/
                              • Rob Taylor
                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 9, 2000
                                  Well Fitz, I was only saying that I did not write
                                  that, Elting did. And I am aware of the word "some".
                                  As far as Maggie, Bill and Elvis go, I imagine some
                                  do.

                                  Rob Taylor

                                  --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:

                                  > I'm familiar with the late Col. Elting's work.
                                  > Please note that the operative word there is "some".
                                  >
                                  > Like in "some" Americans think that Bill Clinton is
                                  > decent, honest man who has been victemized by a vast
                                  > right-wing conspiricy;
                                  > Or, "some' Canadians think Maggie Trudeau is a
                                  > shining
                                  > example of a practicing celibate;
                                  > Or, "some' people think that Elvis is still alive
                                  > and
                                  > living in Edmonton under an assumed name.
                                  >
                                  > "some". not all.
                                  >

                                  > Fitz
                                  >
                                  > =====
                                  > Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies
                                  > Collectors Front and Marching Chorale
                                  >
                                  > "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"
                                  >
                                  > "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll
                                  > leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. .
                                  > . ."

                                  > http://invites.yahoo.com/

                                  > the fate of hundreds of square miles: in North
                                  > America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS
                                  > of square miles...

                                  http://invites.yahoo.com/
                                • Annette and Lloyd Gower
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 9, 2000
                                    wow steve I make you a brit in a couple of battles and out comes the
                                    agression . what did you eat for breakfast today .
                                    Thank you for your help thias weekend.
                                    Will you be at mississinewa ?
                                    >> seen it as a war of barefaced aggression
                                    >> incompetently
                                    >> directed, and too often stained by cowardice,
                                    >> stupidity, and treason. Something of a national
                                    >> disgrace, redeemed only by half-mythical deeds of
                                    >> valour. Only the Canadians, who saw it as a
                                    >> successful
                                    >> war to maintain their independence, could write of
                                    >> it
                                    >> with pride.
                                    >> Rob Taylor
                                    ><Snip>
                                    >>
                                    >How did the War of 1812 maintain Canada's independence? My Canadian history
                                    is a little fuzzy but didn't Canada become a nation around 1867? I may be
                                    wrong but I have thought of the War of 1812 as North America's first civil
                                    war. A brother against brother affair. I believe there were Canadians
                                    fighting on the US side as well as Americans on the British side. I think
                                    the Americans might have believed that once the war started the Canadians
                                    would join in to overthrow what they believed (right or wrong) to be
                                    Canada's oppressors.
                                    >The US stood in Great Britons way. They coveted the west and there was a
                                    big rush to explore and claim that country. I am not saying this is right or
                                    wrong. It is the way it was back then. Strong nations sought to conquer. The
                                    British Empire was not built by anything but military might. They used their
                                    muscle all around the world, Africa, India, China, America... it didn't
                                    matter. It was the way of the world then. Strong nations of every race
                                    sought more land.
                                    >America, Canada, and Great Britain remind me of some families I've seen.
                                    They usually get along, sometimes they fight and call names but, NO ONE ELSE
                                    HAD BETTER TOUCH THEM!! As I've said, these are opinions and not scientific
                                    fact. Kind of a reading between the lines. Could be right, could be wrong.
                                    >Peace Brothers.
                                    >God Bless the Mackinac Rifles.
                                    >Steve Detmer

                                    square miles...

                                  • Rob Taylor
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 9, 2000
                                      --- Dave&Monica Bosse <monga589@...> wrote:
                                      > Rob I think you need some help,

                                      Well it's in the back of his book "Amateur to Arms"
                                      and I quoted him because Fitz had mentioned Mr. Elting
                                      on a different issue.

                                      thanks for the help Dave and or Monica

                                      Rob Taylor

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 9, 2000
                                        In a message dated 8/8/00 9:07:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time, alaidh@...
                                        writes:

                                        << Like in "some" Americans think that Bill Clinton is a
                                        decent, honest man who has been victemized by a vast
                                        right-wing conspiricy;
                                        Or, "some' Canadians think Maggie Trudeau is a shining
                                        example of a practicing celibate;
                                        Or, "some' people think that Elvis is still alive and
                                        living in Edmonton under an assumed name.

                                        Fritz,

                                        The good Colonel "is" a military man and quite a good writer and historian.
                                        Nice to see someone south of the border realize the truth has many faces.

                                        Your humble servant,

                                        JG/RE
                                      • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Aug 9, 2000
                                          --- JGIL1812@... wrote:
                                          > Daylight Time, alaidh@...
                                          > writes:
                                          >
                                          > << Like in "some" Americans think that Bill Clinton
                                          > is a
                                          > decent, honest man who has been victemized by a
                                          > vast
                                          > right-wing conspiricy;
                                          > Or, "some' Canadians think Maggie Trudeau is a
                                          > shining
                                          > example of a practicing celibate;
                                          > Or, "some' people think that Elvis is still alive
                                          > and
                                          > living in Edmonton under an assumed name.
                                          > >>

                                          > Fritz,
                                          >
                                          > The good Colonel "is" a military man and quite a
                                          > good writer and historian.

                                          Um, 'was', I'm afraid - newsgroups day he died about
                                          seven weeks ago.

                                          Fitz

                                          =====

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Sep 4, 2000
                                            --- "Ibbotson, Mark [LSS]"
                                            <m.ibbotson@...> wrote:

                                            > Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 16:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
                                            > From: james barnwell <barnlll@...>
                                            > Subject: Re: Re: Lake Erie squadron complements
                                            >
                                            > I do not think the Battle of Lake Erie diverted many
                                            > American "resourses". If we could of cut Canada in
                                            > two,The Battle of Lake Erie would of been
                                            > unnecessary,as british troops would of had a supply
                                            > problen.Had our northeast not supplied the british
                                            > with foodstuffs,Canada would of not been able to
                                            > feed
                                            > a large army.
                                            > Thank goodness McArthur burned a lot
                                            > of
                                            > mills and farms.
                                            > I am happy that the war turned out to be
                                            > draw.I do like to wonder about "What if", like a
                                            > full
                                            > blown invasion of the United States from Canada,or
                                            > Cockburn continuing to rape and plunder.
                                            >
                                            > Hey Hey who started the plunder in the first place?
                                            > Who invaded who first? who burned York, Newark ect.
                                            > Don't go barking about rape and plunder when it was
                                            > the U.S forces who initiated it all in the first
                                            > place. Washington was sacked to show you guys what
                                            > it really is like. A lesson to be learned by a new
                                            > nation with big ambitions.
                                            >
                                            > Ibbo

                                            Sigh.
                                            Hull marched about a dozen miles into Ontario, made a
                                            speech, and left.
                                            Best evidence indicates York was burned by Canadian
                                            turncoats.
                                            Newark was burned against orders, the locals were
                                            given a day to get their belongings out, and the
                                            officer responsible, McClure resigned in disgrace for
                                            his actions.
                                            You want to talk rape and pillage? Read Lt.Col
                                            Napier's account of the rape of Hampton, after the
                                            town surrendered on terms. The army and the RN were
                                            completely embarrassed by what happened (over a
                                            hundred documented rapes, six documented murders,
                                            widespread looting and arson). Napier called the whole
                                            thing disgraceful and took pride in the fact that his
                                            regiment, the 102nd, stood in ranks and did not
                                            participate.
                                            The main culprits were the Chasseurs Brittanique
                                            (French turncoats) and the RN.
                                            The RN was so determined that this never happened
                                            again that when Washington was taken, Cochrane offered
                                            to hang a sailor on the spot if the distrought woman
                                            claiming rape would identify her assailant.
                                            The Chasseurs Brittanique were declared to be "worse
                                            than useless" and were ordered to be sent where they
                                            "might be of some value".
                                            They were sent to Canada.

                                            Fitz

                                            =====
                                            Founder, Pagan Liberation Antique Twinkies Collectors Front and Marching Chorale

                                            "Fluff Bunnies - The OTHER White Meat"

                                            "Come back, Guy Faulkes - all's forgiven. We'll leave a light on in the Capitol basement for you. . . ."

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                          • Rob Taylor
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Sep 4, 2000
                                              --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                              Best evidence indicates York was burned by Canadian
                                              turncoats.

                                              And U.S. sailors Fitz, don't leave them out.

                                              --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                              Hull marched about a dozen miles into Ontario, made
                                              a speech, and left.

                                              The speech you refer too was a written ploclaimation
                                              handed out and posted everywhere. Hull left because he
                                              feared the Indians that were flowing over the border
                                              to help Tecumseh and the British, had there been no
                                              resistance like he had expected he would have stayed.
                                              Nope they were not afraid of him. But he did scoop up
                                              a few turncoats .... better off rid of them anyways
                                              eh?

                                              --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                              Newark was burned against orders, the locals were
                                              given a day to get their belongings out, and the
                                              officer responsible, McClure resigned in disgrace for
                                              his actions.

                                              So that makes it alright? It was December the middle
                                              of winter, one of the coldest on record. Driving
                                              Civilians out of their homes into the freezing cold.
                                              Then burning everything. One kindly old woman froze to
                                              death, and all suffered greatly. In the Niagara
                                              campaign there were not many buildings that were not
                                              torched, and it was not the British that did this.
                                              Interesting gloss over, while depicting the British
                                              as the evil ones, in detail.
                                              Rob Taylor

                                              http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                            • Sue Draper
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Sep 4, 2000
                                                Best evidence most certainly does not indicate that turncoats burned York. If you're interested in getting the full account of it, please contact Carl Benn, the curator at Historic Fort York in Toronto. He can be emailed via the City of Toronto's webpage.

                                                -T.Mac

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Sep 4, 2000
                                                  --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:

                                                  > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                                  > Best evidence indicates York was burned by Canadian
                                                  > turncoats.
                                                  >
                                                  > And U.S. sailors Fitz, don't leave them out.
                                                  >
                                                  > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                                  > Hull marched about a dozen miles into Ontario,
                                                  > made
                                                  > a speech, and left.
                                                  >
                                                  > The speech you refer too was a written ploclaimation
                                                  > handed out and posted everywhere. Hull left because
                                                  > he
                                                  > feared the Indians that were flowing over the border
                                                  > to help Tecumseh and the British, had there been no
                                                  > resistance like he had expected he would have
                                                  > stayed.
                                                  > Nope they were not afraid of him. But he did scoop
                                                  > up
                                                  > a few turncoats .... better off rid of them anyways
                                                  > eh?
                                                  >
                                                  > --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                                  > Newark was burned against orders, the locals
                                                  > were
                                                  > given a day to get their belongings out, and the
                                                  > officer responsible, McClure resigned in disgrace
                                                  > for
                                                  > his actions.
                                                  >
                                                  > So that makes it alright? It was December the middle
                                                  > of winter, one of the coldest on record. Driving
                                                  > Civilians out of their homes into the freezing cold.
                                                  >
                                                  > Then burning everything. One kindly old woman froze
                                                  > death, and all suffered greatly. In the Niagara
                                                  > campaign there were not many buildings that were not
                                                  > torched, and it was not the British that did this.
                                                  > Interesting gloss over, while depicting the British
                                                  > as the evil ones, in detail.
                                                  > Rob Taylor

                                                  Well, I COULD have mentioned what happened at Buffalo
                                                  - the accounts that I've read say that they were able
                                                  to find the bodies under the snow and ashes because
                                                  that was where the pigs were rooting around.
                                                  Please note that I mentioned that the acts at Hampton
                                                  were primarily the actions of the Chasseurs
                                                  Brittanique, who were French, not English, and how the
                                                  British troops of the 102nd stood to ranks and refused
                                                  to participate.
                                                  This does not depict the British as evil, but it
                                                  certainly shows a breakdown in the command structure
                                                  that it happened at all.

                                                  Fitz

                                                  =====

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Sep 4, 2000
                                                    --- Fitzhugh MacCrae <alaidh@...> wrote:
                                                    Well, I COULD have mentioned what happened at Buffalo

                                                    --- Rob Taylor <niagara_falls_98@...> wrote:
                                                    You should have Fitz. Then I would have mentioned
                                                    that this was done in retaliation for the burning of
                                                    Newark, then there were the raids on Port Dover and
                                                    communities on Lake Erie by the Americans burning
                                                    mills and homes, killing cattle. It was said that this
                                                    was in retaliation for the burning of Buffalo. And so
                                                    it goes.

                                                    Rob Taylor

                                                    http://mail.yahoo.com/
                                                  • Fitzhugh MacCrae
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Sep 4, 2000

                                                      =====

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Sep 4, 2000
                                                        From What I have read,it was us,(US)that started the
                                                        burning.I said what I said about Mcarthur because it
                                                        was difficult to feed both the British troops,Indian
                                                        allies and their familys here along the Detroit River.
                                                        I believe that Hull's adventure into what
                                                        is now Windsor was the first entry into Canada by US
                                                        forces....But The British had already taken Mackinac.
                                                        I believe that the burning of Washington,and
                                                        other areas in our southeast,was in retaliation for
                                                        our burning of york and other areas of Canada.Tit for
                                                        Tat?
                                                        Jim Barnwell

                                                        http://mail.yahoo.com/