Recruiting

  • Wattie, Chris
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2000
      > Speaking of the future of the 1812 hobby - consider this: We will need to
      > rely on recruiting from other time periods to swell our numbers. There's
      > vast talent pool of active living historians waiting to be tapped, but we
      > need the right environment to attract interest. I got into 1812 as a
      > sideline because I was ready for something different. I've had a couple
      > of
      > "nibbles" from amongst my ACW pards, but I know for a fact that any Civil
      > War guy worth his salt will turn up his nose at 1812 if he sees too much
      > farbiness. In the case of a good friend of mine, I've seen it happen!

      I'm not so sure that's true. Recruits from F&I, RevWar or even ACW are
      certainly welcome, but I think there's a large untapped pool of potential
      new re-enactors out there that we just haven't drawn on. Many of the people
      who wander around our camps at events don't even realize it's possible for
      them to get involved (a lot have told me they thought we were paid staff of
      whatever fort/battlefield we were at) and quite a few would likely jump at
      the chance if offerred.
      The Internet is another great recruiting tool.
    • Greg Butt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2001
        Thank you for all the good suggestions you have sent me on the vexing question of recruiting new members. I am digesting all the information and will present it at our next regimental meeting to see if we can put togethor a plan for recruiting members for the coming year.

        For those who suggested a web site as good advertising you are correct, we have had many people find and look at the site, although we seem to get more "jobs" out of the net than actual recruits. If I may be so bold I will list our site below:-

        http://members.tripod.com/~REDCOATS73/73rd-index.html

        For anyone thinking of a trip to these distant shores please make sure you drop me a line and come visit, I can also offer a very attractive bounty for any soldiers thinking of changing regiments to serve in NSW. You havn't lived until you have taken part in an event in December on a balmy 40deg C day (thats 104 deg F)!!!.
        Still, we have a campaign season that goes all year here on the Eastern seaboard, as the winters are pretty mild.

        Thanks once again

        Greg Butt
        Sgt. 73rd Regt.

      • S J McLean
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
          I just ran across a newspaper ad that stated that the Incorporated Militia of Upper Canada is now recruiting soldiers in Eastern Ontario.
          The phone number is 613- 374-3081.
          Can anyone verify this?

          Sue McLean
          The Widow Wilson: Cook for Hire