Port Dover

  • Five Rivers
    Message 1 of 12 , May 20, 2000
      Gary and I just wanted to take a moment to commend Bob Blakely and his
      crew for putting together a marvelous organizational effort for the Port
      Dover event. Although we couldn't get into the site because of so much rain
      and soggy ground, and had to turn around and come home, the package with
      which Bob sent us has made for extremely informative and fascinating
      reading. It is plain this has been an enormous organizational enterprise on
      Bob and his crew's part, and we just wanted to say thank you, well done.

      regards
      Lorina
      fine hand-sewn embroidered garments
      historical sewing patterns & embroidery supplies
      (519) 942-2548, fax (519) 941-7627 http://www.5rivers.org
      email:info@...
      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2000
        Question
        From: lee caripidis <ditlegrec@...>

        Could someone give us a report on Port Dover?
        ------------------------------

        Answer From: Five Rivers <lgsteph@...>
        Date: Saturday, May 20, 2000 1:49 PM
        Subject: [WarOf1812] Port Dover

        Gary and I just wanted to take a moment to commend Bob Blakely and his
        crew for putting together a marvelous organizational effort for the Port
        Dover event. Although we couldn't get into the site because of so much rain
        and soggy ground, and had to turn around and come home, the package with
        which Bob sent us has made for extremely informative and fascinating
        reading. It is plain this has been an enormous organizational enterprise on
        Bob and his crew's part, and we just wanted to say thank you, well done.
        ----------------------------

        From the grapevine:
        ( my niece: .......even tractors were stuck in the mud!

      • The Bosse Family
        Message 3 of 12 , May 22, 2000
          I thought the buckskinners were the heavy weapond section! All of our guys
          bugged out saturday around lunch. But I thought it was a great weekend the
          Canadians were some of the nicest guys I have met (even those who did
          British impressions heh heh). We managed to see Chipawa, Lunys Lane,
          Queenston Heights, Forts Eirie, George and Niagra. And I have been in alot
          worst weather than Port Dover.

          Dave Bosse
          (Americas Friend)
        • R. Feltoe
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2000
            Ron,
            In answer to your question on the events at that time, I hope the following
            segment might help. It follows a series of paragraphs talking about
            Winfield Scott's work in creating the 1814 American Army at Buffalo

            "...On the other side of the Niagara River, General Drummond was also
            attempting to improve the state of his forces in the face of the continued
            reluctance of General Prevost to push forward either supplies or manpower
            into Upper Canada as long as a large body of American troops remained
            encamped south of Montreal. Eventually, however, the improving military
            situation in Europe and the news that reinforcements were being sent to
            North America, persuaded Prevost to release the 103rd Regiment and some
            vitally needed supplies for use in Upper Canada. Nor was this a moment too
            soon, as the improving weather gave rise to an increase in American raids
            and incursions across the Western end of Upper Canada throughout the months
            of March, April and May.

            In scenes reminiscent of the events of the previous December at Newark
            (Niagara on the Lake), the communities at Patterson's Creek, Charlotteville
            (Turkey Point), Port Talbot, Long Point, and Port Dover, all saw the
            destruction of their public buildings, grain mills, distilleries and private
            homes and barns at the hands of American troops and the hated 'Canadian
            Volunteers'. These raiding parties moved relatively unopposed inland from
            Detroit or used the American control of Lake Erie to cross the lake and
            attack from that quarter. Even the crops in the fields and cattle were
            deliberately destroyed in order to reduce the availability of the region to
            support the British army in the field.

            These repeated incursions on his lines of communication and supply bases, so
            alarmed General Riall that he requested permission of General Drummond to
            withdraw most of his troops from their forward positions along the Niagara
            River and concentrate them at Burlington, where they could be used to
            counter any future American advance from the South, West, or East.
            Determined to maintain the line of the Niagara and protect those inhabitants
            still attempting to scratch out a living and grow the crops that could feed
            his troops, however, General Drummond turned down this request. Instead he
            ordered Riall to maintain and strengthen his positions as much as possible,
            in the hopes of slowing down any possible American attack until
            reinforcements could be concentrated from their scattered positions
            elsewhere or brought up from York and Kingston.

            At the same time, General Drummond sought to take some of the pressure off
            Riall's forces on the Niagara by planning yet another attack on Sackets
            Harbor; with the aim of destroying the American fleet and crippling the Army
            by eliminating the immense stockpiles of supplies maintained in the
            warehouses surrounding the harbour..."

            Hope this assists,
            Richard Feltoe
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 2 10:11 AM
              From: "Peter Catley" <peter.catley@...>

              At least its a port! if only on a Lake :-)

              -----------

              My Dear Mr. P**, et al

              The Great Lakes, Lakes Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie and
              Ontario and their connecting
              channels form the largest fresh surface water system on Earth. If you stood
              on the moon, you could
              see the lakes ... from:
              http://www.great-lakes.net/teach/geog/intro/intro_1.html

              Also known as the Inland Sea ....... almost the size the British Isles you
              call 'ome.
              Also consists of Lake Sainte Clair the home of the first shipwreck on the
              Great Lakes.

              A Great event at Fort Amherstburg (Fort Malden) south of Detroit/Windsor
              over the weekend. The
              breeze off the Detroit River (wider than a lot of so called lakes) was
              lovely, the wooded site
              on the banks of said River housed Romans, 1650, 1812, 1830, 1837, 1879, Boar
              War, WW1,
              WW2, Allied and German soldiers. A very re-enactor friendly site.

              Thanks to John MacLeod and all his crew.

              Squire Jon,

              The Great Lakes and islands within them have more than 10,000 miles of
              coastline
              a wee bit too much for you to see during your visit to the Colonies ....
              soooooon!

              Yrs.,

              L2
            • Peter Catley
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 2 11:21 AM
                Yes, but it is still not "proper" sea!

                Cheers.

                P**

[...]

                square miles...

                ---------------------------------
                Crown Forces Unit Listing:
                http://1812crownforces.tripod.com

                American Forces Unit Lisiting
                http://usforces1812.tripod.com

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129i71j4p/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1705020536:HM/EXP=1091553176/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                anion.yahoo.com> click here

                :HM/A=2128215/rand=656629283>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • JGIL1812@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 2 1:33 PM
                  Ah P*

                  Don't tell that to the men of the Fitzgerald!!!! The Lakes have tamed many a
                  seasoned sailor. All ended up in port.

                  JG/RE

                • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 2 2:13 PM
                    Ah John,

                    It seems a terrible waste of port to put a sailor in it!

                    Bob/USE
                  • JGIL1812@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 2 2:32 PM
                      Sir Bob,

                      Not at all. Many times I've immersed myself in "port" and it has always
                      cleansed away the grit of the march and I find myself a better man because of it!

                      Now if you're saying we shouldn't 'waste' our 'ports' on sailor types....
                      That's another subject!

                      Your Humble Servant,
                      JG/RE & Savior of the British Empire

                    • roy winders
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 23, 2008
                        On behalf of The British Indian Dept. I would like to thank our Colonel Bob Blakely,
                        Ian Bell and all who helped to make this past weekend such a success, cant wait for
                        next year.
                        Roy Winders, Capt.
                        B.I.D.

                      • roy winders
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 27, 2009
                          All,
                          better late than never, Port Dover pics have now been downloaded to our site.
                          www.bid-1812.com
                          Capt. Merengue.

                        • roy winders
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 19, 2011
                            On behalf of The British Indian Dept. I would like to thank the organizers and volunteers
                            for all their hard work in making this years Port Dover event so enjoyable,
                            nice camp layout and an amazing beach battle that left me hoarse. I'm embarrassed
                            to say that pollen made me retire from the field during both land battles.
                            Roy Winders, Capt.B.I.D,