Chippawa Battlefield

  • Raymond Hobbs
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2000
      James Elliott has a great article in the print version of the Hamilton
      Spectator about then surveying of the battlefield at Chippawa by the
      Niagara Parks Commission archaeologists. The method is similar to that
      conducted at Little Big Horn, using detectors to locate metal pobjects,
      then digging to determine who fired what at whom, so that battle lines
      can be plotted.
      I spent six years conducting 'Old World' archaeology in the Middle East,
      and the use of metal detectors was regarded as the greatest sin. When
      one is dealing with structural archaeology, that is fine. But on a site
      like this, which has not changed a lot over the decades, this is an
      excellent way to contribute to our understanding of the battle.
      Well done!
      Ray Hobbs
      Hamilton
    • R. Feltoe
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 9 7:43 AM
        Dear All,
        Having taken a quick trip down to Niagara on Monday, I would just like to
        let anyone planning to go to the Fort Erie event of something worth taking
        an extra hour to detour to see. This is the Battle of Chippawa site. I
        really have to commend the Niagara Parks Commission (If that's who was
        responsible) for the tasteful and low key approach they have taken in
        establishing a small pathway and signage to tell the battle's story. As it
        is the only battlefield site on the Niagara that has not been built over or
        been 'restored' to death, it was nice to see it commemorated as an event
        without destroying its integrity as a location.

        It occurred to me that as we have the Memorial service on the Sunday morning
        at the Fort, perhaps there might be the opportunity for those who wish to,
        take an extra hour from the day to jump in some cars and go down to the
        field and (with the appropriate clearances) simply mark the moment with an
        honour guard to the fallen and three volleys before returning to the fort
        for the regular scheduled programme. Anyone interested?

        Regards Richard Feltoe.
      • rsm1812@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10 7:12 PM
          Richard that is a nice thought. Chris Wattie had visited there a
          little while ago and was talking with the site folks. They were
          somewhat receptive to a re-enactment on the site, perhaps next year.
          Is this another golden opportunity for 2001?

          --- In WarOf1812@egroups.com, "R. Feltoe" <feltoe@h...> wrote:
          > Dear All,
          > Having taken a quick trip down to Niagara on Monday, I would just
          like to
          > let anyone planning to go to the Fort Erie event of something worth
          taking
          > an extra hour to detour to see. This is the Battle of Chippawa
          site. I
          > really have to commend the Niagara Parks Commission (If that's who
          was
          > responsible) for the tasteful and low key approach they have taken
          in
          > establishing a small pathway and signage to tell the battle's
          story. As it
          > is the only battlefield site on the Niagara that has not been built
          over or
          > been 'restored' to death, it was nice to see it commemorated as an
          event
          > without destroying its integrity as a location.
          >
          > It occurred to me that as we have the Memorial service on the
          Sunday morning
          > at the Fort, perhaps there might be the opportunity for those who
          wish to,
          > take an extra hour from the day to jump in some cars and go down to
          the
          > field and (with the appropriate clearances) simply mark the moment
          with an
          > honour guard to the fallen and three volleys before returning to
          the fort
          > for the regular scheduled programme. Anyone interested?
          >
          > Regards Richard Feltoe.
        • Chosen Man Wattie
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 12 9:05 AM
            You're right on as usual Richard: it's a wonderful site.
            And although we don't want to bog down a 2001 season that already
            looks busy, in some ways it would be an even better site for a
            re-enactment than Lundy's. The area is completely undeveloped and has
            not been disturbed at all since 1814. The commission plans to plant
            period crops in the fields and put up split-rail fencing and so on
            all I could think when I looked over the site was "What a wonderful
            place for a re-enactment!"
            :)