Re: Rifles and other myths

  • Scott & Nancy McDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 1999
      Grasshoppers-
      I found this from "Weapons of the British Soldier" by Col. H.C.B. Rogers,
      O.B.E., London, Seeley Service & Co. Limited, copyright 1960-
      "In practice two methods were used to load the Baker rifle in action. The
      one described above [with patch] allowed a rate of fire of about two rounds
      per minute, which was, of course, considerably slower than the smooth bore
      musket. For rapid fire in an emergency, however, the weapon was treated as
      a smoothbore. For this purpose a pouch filled with musket-pattern made-up
      cartriges was carried on the soldiers equipment. The paper was torn off,
      the powder poured in the barrel, the paper then used as wadding, and the
      ball rolled down on top without using a greased patch. This method had the
      disadvantage that the grooves got clogged up, and had to be cleaned out
      before the gun could be used as a rifle again."
      Nothing new here, but I thought some of you might like to know that this is
      in "print" somewhere.
      Cheers,
      Scott

      Scott McDonald
      Member/ 93rd Sutherland Highland Regiment of Foot L.H.U.
      http://members.aol.com/ninety3rd
      <mailto: raintree@...>