Question

  • The Bosse Family
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 24, 2000
      I got a Question.
      Where did the term "John Bull" and "Cousain Johnathin" come from No War
      Crime cracks! just wondering were the term (Sweet creamery flames Mmmmmm).
      Came from I think "John Bull" is from Rev War but no clue (Fire Fire Eh Eh).

      Dave Bosse
      Americas Friend
    • Raymond Hobbs
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 15, 2000
        Depends where you want to begin Larry. In 1648 in New York (NewAmsterdam) five fire wardens were appointed, and formed the first Fire Department. This was 18 years
        before insurance companies in London, England formed fire brigades in 1666, after the great London fire. So it looks as though 'Departments' were created before
        'Brigades'.
        But, if one wants to go back farther. In ancient Rome there were fire watchers, called 'vigiles' who warned of fires.
        Interesting question,
        Ray
        1/41st

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 15, 2000
          What were Fire Departments first called?

        • Scott McDonald
          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 15, 2000
            >What were Fire Departments first called?

            Answer:
            Fire Brigade
            Larry-
            That's a guess...I just wanted to be first to answer :)
            BTW my town has every peice of fire fighting equipment it ever had and the
            place was settled in 1814. The oldest peice is a pumping wagon where three
            men stood on each side and worked a lever type pump which pumped water out
            of a catch basin in the bottom of the wagon. The basin was filled by a
            bucket brigade. I don't think the pump developed much pressure and one can
            imagine that by the time this wagon was rigged up the fire must have been a
            lost cause. I can find out the date and specs on the wagon if interested.
            Cheers
            Scott McD.
          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 15, 2000
              In a message dated 7/15/2000 3:07:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
              raintree@... writes:

              << >What were Fire Departments first called?

              Answer:
              Fire Brigade >>

              And in the UK its still called that!

            • Anne Woodley
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 15, 2000
                raintree@... wrote;

                >> What were Fire Departments first called?
                >
                > Answer:
                > Fire Brigade
                > Larry-
                > That's a guess...I just wanted to be first to answer :)
                > BTW my town has every peice of fire fighting equipment it ever had and the
                > place was settled in 1814. The oldest peice is a pumping wagon where three
                > men stood on each side and worked a lever type pump which pumped water out

                The 'fire offices' as they were called - well officially anyway - were run
                by various insurance companies - I've got a picture of one fire (they were
                often in the Theatre district) The picture is dedicated to the London
                Insurance Offices and shows two vehcles attending the blaze, one from
                "Regent Street County Fire Office" and other from " Westminster Fire
                Office" which seemed to be located in King Street/Covent Garden.

                You can see a picture if you want on
                http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~awoodley/illus/fire.html

                I don't know when the various teams became known as 'Brigades' - I suspect
                early on - but in 1820 they were still run by the various insurance
                offices. There is a wonderful poem - if anyone knows it - from later in the
                nineteenth century - By Hillaire Belloc. Matilda Who Told Lies and was
                Burned to Death"

                "And summoned the immediate aid.
                of London's Noble Fire Brigade
                Within an hour the gallant band
                were pouring in on every hand
                from Putney Hakcney Downs and Bow
                with courage high and hearts aglow
                they galloped roaring through the Town
                "Matilda's House is burning down!"
                Inspired by British Cheers and loud
                Proceeding from the frenzied crowd
                They ran their ladders through a score
                of windows on the ballroom floor
                and took perculiar pains to souse
                The pictures up and down the house
                Until Matilda's Aunt succeeded
                In showing them they were not needed
                And even then she had to pay
                To get the men to go away."

                ...and thus it goes on - its one of his Cautionary Tales.

                - no real need to quote it - except it does say Fire Brigade at the
                beginning - and I quite like it......

                Anne
              • james barnwell
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 15, 2000
                  With wooden shakes for roofing and burning wood or
                  coal, bucket brigades didnt have a chance!
                  Jim Barnwell

                  http://mail.yahoo.com/
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 7, 2003
                    From: "Craig Williams" <sgtwarner@...>
                    Larry...any help here for computer impaired PHD's ?

                    Adam Lynde wrote:
                    I wrote this response but can't send it,
                    as I can only send out under Rogers

                    and register as a new subscriber.
                    When that is done cancel your old subscription.

                    Mr President Williams, I didn't know you were a PhD
                    (Post Hole Digger) ! :-)
                  • Craig Williams
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 7, 2003
                      on 3/7/03 3:47 PM, Larry Lozon at lalozon@... wrote:

                      > From: "Craig Williams" <sgtwarner@...>
                      > Larry...any help here for computer impaired PHD's ?
                      >

                      > Adam Lynde wrote:
                      > I wrote this response but can't send it,
                      > as I can only send out under Rogers

                      > and register as a new subscriber.
                      > When that is done cancel your old subscription.
                      >
                      > Mr President Williams, I didn't know you were a PhD
                      > (Post Hole Digger) ! :-)

                      > square miles: in North America, hundreds determined the fate of THOUSANDS of
                      > square miles...

                      Not me...I work for a living!! Adam Lynde is a PhD in Military History.

                      Craig
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 7, 2003
                        From: "Craig Williams" <sgtwarner@...>

                        Larry Lozon wrote:

                        Mr President Williams, I didn't know you were a PhD
                        (Post Hole Digger) ! :-)

                        Not me...I work for a living!!

                        ____________

                        Work! ....... I thot you were in the Film Industry!!

                        I hear some will do it for nothing!!! :^)
                      • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 7, 2003
                          In a message dated 3/7/2003 7:14:45 PM Central Standard Time,
                          lalozon@... writes:

                          > Work! ....... I thot you were in the Film Industry!!
                          >
                          > I hear some will do it for nothing!!! :^)

                          Yes Larry, and those who will are not 'in' the film industry they are just
                          used by it. :-)

                        • R Feltoe
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 24, 2003
                            Dear List,
                            This request is not directly related to "our" period, but I'm hoping someone in our community may have some knowledge on the question posed below. Any info gratefully received.

                            I have an original document that has a circumstantial inferences that would suggest Canadian militia units, or perhaps volunteers thereof, were involved in the Crimean war in the 1850's. In particular the M Victoria Rifles Regiment of Montreal. Anyone got a line on this?
                            Regards
                            Richard Feltoe

                          • HQ93rd@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 31, 2003
                              In a message dated 27/05/2003 4:52:24 PM, feltoe@... writes:

                              > I have an original document that has a circumstantial inferences that would
                              > suggest Canadian militia units, or perhaps volunteers thereof, were involved
                              > in the Crimean war in the 1850's. In particular the M Victoria Rifles
                              > Regiment of Montreal.  Anyone got a line on this?
                              > Regards
                              > Richard Feltoe

                              Ooooo, not me...but I do have a pre-Crimea-in-Canada-late1830s-thru-1840s in
                              garrison first hand account of the 93rd beating the holy crap out of a
                              Canadian militia regiment whilst in Quebec. (Records of Service & Campaigning in Many
                              Lands, by Surgeon General Munro, MD, CB, vol 2, p.18-21, Hurst & Blackett Ltd
                              1887.)
                              OK...so it's a bit of a tangent....but hey Richard, where have you been the
                              last 2 New Orleans? (Going off on yet another tangent...but everyone knows I AM
                              a tangent unto myself....)
                              ;-)
                              93rd SHRoFLHU
                              THE Thin Red Line
                              www.93rdhighlanders.com

                            • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 20, 2005
                                Has anyone else been missing messages lately? It would seem that I have
                                missed quite a few since Katrina hit. In fact I though I had lost the group
                                untill I got a little flurry today.

                                Well, being in Lake Charles I am now deciding wether to evacuate or not as
                                it seems Hurricane Rita might be heading our way. Is there some sort of long
                                service award one can put in for?

                              • dancingbobd@webtv.net
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 20, 2005
                                  Greetings Tim,

                                  You might be "bouncing"! You can determine that by visiting the group
                                  page at Yahoo Groups and then finding yourself in the Members file. I
                                  had that problem recently. Good luck!

                                  Regards,

                                  Bob
                                • lalozon
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 20, 2005
                                    From: "Tim Pickles" <BritcomHMP@...>

                                    "... being in Lake Charles I am now deciding wether to evacuate or not as it
                                    seems Hurricane Rita might be heading our way.

                                    Sir,

                                    That is why your GOD invented Las Vegas ....
                                    get the hell out of there one hurricane a lifetime is enough!!!

                                    ... now back to the Weapon of Mass Destruction

                                    From: "RWF" hm95thfoot@...

                                    "These guns were designed to be fired by packed masses of men into other
                                    packed masses of men .."

                                    Yrs.,
                                    L2
                                  • John Ogden
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 20, 2005
                                      All-
                                      Having lived through Hurricane David as a child, I have to concur with Mr.
                                      Lozon: Get out, man! Have you lost your senses? Is it not enough that you've
                                      probably lost most-if-not-all of your worldly goods, but now you must lose
                                      your life as well? Run!!!
                                      John Ogden
                                      17th US Infantry (probationary).

                                    • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 20, 2005
                                        In a message dated 20/09/2005 20:06:30 Central Standard Time,
                                        johnjogden@... writes:

                                        Having lived through Hurricane David as a child, I have to concur with Mr.
                                        Lozon: Get out, man! Have you lost your senses? Is it not enough that you've

                                        probably lost most-if-not-all of your worldly goods, but now you must lose
                                        your life as well? Run!!!

                                        We British might conduct a strategic withdrawal but we don't run! I have
                                        actualy lost non of my worldly good as my (ground floor) flat is in a house on
                                        the natural levy in uptown New Orleans. I rode out Katrina in my girlfriends
                                        house similarly in uptown, between St. Charles and the river, and similarly dry
                                        and undamaged.
                                        At present I am in a friend's hunting camp 20 mins drive outside Lake
                                        Charles, the house dates from 1845 and has never flooded in its history, the trees
                                        are all cut back around the house so that only one or two of the tallest have
                                        the chance of having their tops touch the structure if they fall and I have
                                        already worked out which section of the house will remasin untouched even if
                                        everything falls.

                                        Risking riding out a hurricane is not trusting to luck, it is studying the
                                        land and knowing the quality of the structure you are in. In this area of the
                                        country cheap land is cheap for a reason! that said if it looks as iof we are
                                        to get a direct hit I will leave but that is highly unlikely (I hope).

                                      • David Lynch
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 22, 2005
                                          --- In WarOf1812@yahoogroups.com, BritcomHMP@a... wrote:

                                          [SNIP]

                                          > At present I am in a friend's hunting camp 20 mins drive outside
                                          Lake
                                          > Charles, the house dates from 1845 and has never flooded in its
                                          history, the trees
                                          > are all cut back around the house so that only one or two of the
                                          tallest have
                                          > the chance of having their tops touch the structure if they fall
                                          and I have
                                          > already worked out which section of the house will remasin
                                          untouched even if
                                          > everything falls.

                                          Tim - if you are try and say "I've had this location in my hip
                                          pocket for years", I'm going to pinch you! Very hard!!!

                                          ;-)

                                          Stay dry...

                                          Dave Lynch
                                        • lalozon
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 22, 2005
                                            From: "David Lynch" <dave8365@...>

                                            "Tim Pickles" BritcomHMP@a... wrote:

                                            "... At present I am ... 20 mins drive outside Lake Charles.."

                                            According to MapQuest

                                            New Orleans, LA US
                                            Total Est. Distance: 206.06 miles
                                            Total Est. Time: 3 hours, 16 minutes
                                            to Lake Charles, LA US

                                            Lake Charles, LA US
                                            Total Est. Distance: 163.35 miles
                                            Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 47 minutes
                                            to Galveston, TX US

                                            According to CNN
                                            http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/22/news.update.thurs/

                                            Louisiana Gov. Blanco urges coastal residents 'to evacuate now'

                                            "As you know, Rita took a turn to the east last night and southwest
                                            Louisiana is now in danger,"

                                            (CNN) -- Here are the latest numbers from the National Hurricane Center's 11
                                            a.m. advisory:
                                            Top wind speed: 165 mph
                                            Saffir-Simpson scale: Category 5
                                            Location of storm center: 460 miles southeast of Galveston and about 445
                                            miles southeast of Port Arthur

                                            Rita is the third worst Hurricane to hit USA

                                            Mr. Lynch, pinch Tim very hard for me as well!

                                            Yrs.,
                                            L2
                                          • BritcomHMP@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Sep 22, 2005
                                              In a message dated 22/09/2005 10:20:48 Central Standard Time,
                                              dave8365@... writes:

                                              Tim - if you are try and say "I've had this location in my hip
                                              pocket for years", I'm going to pinch you! Very hard!!!

                                              ;-)

                                              Stay dry...

                                              All I can say about Rita is 'I don't know what it will do to Texas, but it
                                              terrifies me'!! As it happens I had already planned to go to Birmingham AL this
                                              weekend so I will be leaving after midnight and get there a bit sooner than
                                              planned.

                                            • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Sep 24, 2005
                                                In a message dated 22/09/2005 8:56:38 AM, lalozon@... writes:

                                                > Rita is the third worst Hurricane to hit USA

                                                Hmmm...what does CNN consider the first two?
                                                The one that hit Galveston (and wiped out Matagorda Island completely) in
                                                1900 is considered THE worst natural calamity in US history (estimates of up to
                                                20000 or more dead, if I recall..)

                                                Col (born and bred in TX) B
                                                93rd SHRoFLHU
                                                93rdhighlanders.com
                                                THE Thin Red Line

                                              • HQ93rd@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Sep 24, 2005
                                                  In a message dated 22/09/2005 8:56:38 AM, lalozon@... writes:

                                                  > Location of storm center: 460 miles southeast of Galveston and about 445
                                                  > miles southeast of Port Arthur

                                                  PS -- my Mom was born in Port Arthur!
                                                  (My wife's parents and a sister still live in Houston area, but had got out
                                                  days ago.)

                                                  93rd SHRoFLHU
                                                  93rdhighlanders.com
                                                  THE Thin Red Line

                                                • Phil Graf

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Sep 24, 2005
                                                      Hi Col B,

                                                      Has anyone noticed at pattern here??

                                                      Gen. Pickles lives in New Orleans. It is hit by a Cat. 4 hurricane.

                                                      Gen Pickles moves to Port Charles, LA and it is hit by a CAt. 3
                                                      hurricane.

                                                      If I lived in Birmingham, I would be very, very scared! ; ^ )

                                                      YMH&OS,

                                                      Bob
                                                      aka Cpt. C. Gratiot, US Engineer
                                                      aka Surgeon R. Dorian 14LD
                                                    • lalozon
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Sep 26, 2005
                                                        From: "Col (born and bred in TX) B" <HQ93rd@...>

                                                        "...what does CNN consider the first two?"

                                                        CNN agrees with you ... that number one was the hurricane that hit Galveston
                                                        in 1900

                                                        It is considered "THE WORST" natural calamity in USA history ......

                                                        Hope to see you at Mississinewa next week

                                                        Yrs.,

                                                        L2
                                                      • lalozon
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Sep 26, 2005
                                                          From: "C. Gratiot/ R. Dorian" <dancingbobd@...>

                                                          Has anyone noticed at pattern here??

                                                          Gen. Pickles lives in New Orleans. It is hit by a Cat. 4 hurricane.
                                                          Gen Pickles moves to Port Charles, LA and it is hit by a CAt. 3 hurricane.
                                                          If I lived in Birmingham, I would be very, very scared! ; ^ )

                                                          Cpt. C. Gratiot/R. Dorian

                                                          Does that mean we can expect rain at Mississinewa Oct 7-9?

                                                          Yrs,

                                                          L2