Yankee

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2000
      Hey Cottonbaler,
      n' Texans all,

      "ain't every one south of Lake Erie a Yankee, eh ?!??! "

      : - )

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2000
        Re: an "E"
        From: Roger Fuller <fullerfamily@...>

        Didn't ''yankee'' come from an Iroquois mispronunciation
        ('yenghiz'?) of the word "English"?

        Yep,

        Roger: the Indians could not pronounce the French word
        for English which is
        "Anglais"
        They pronounced it "Yanglays" which turned into "Yankees".
        A good example of this is in the movie "The Last of the
        Mohicans", which also proves that Steve and Benton are
        Yankees as they were in this flick!

      • Steve Detmer
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2000
          Message: 8
          Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 21:36:44 -0400
          From: "Larry Lozon" <lalozon@...>
          Subject: Yankee

          Hey Cottonbaler,
          n' Texans all,

          "ain't every one south of Lake Erie a Yankee, eh ?!??! "

          I'm from Northern Michigan I definitly am not south of Lake Erie and 100% Yankee!!! Most of you Canadians are southerners.
          Long live the Macinac Rifles and President Madison.
          Steve

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 23, 2000
            Re: an "E"
            From: ninety3rd@... <ninety3rd@...>

            Ain't everyone in Canada a frog-wannabe?
            I meeeean.....there's Quebec....so
            that MUST apply to ALL of Canada...eh?)

            point taken, Mon Amie

            Your high school sweetheart-where is he now? With 4.4 million alumni
            already registered at Classmates.com, there's a good chance you'll
            find her here. Visit your online high school class reunion at:
            http://click.egroups.com/1/3139/4/_/501103/_/956461743/
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 23, 2000
              From: Steve Detmer <bigdad@...>

              I'm from Northern Michigan I definitly am not south
              of Lake Erie and 100% Yankee!!! Most of you Canadians
              are southerners.

              Well done, Steve, I forgot, Southern Ontario is even with
              California! ....... true, check it out on a golobe!

              Good friends, school spirit, hair-dos you'd like to forget.
              Classmates.com has them all. And with 4.4 million alumni already
              registered, there's a good chance you'll find your friends here:
              http://click.egroups.com/1/2885/4/_/501103/_/956489983/
            • Five Rivers
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
                Well, just to confuse the issue and add extraneous and superfluous
                information to the list, according to my 1903 Ojibway/English Dictionary
                (yes there is such a thing, published by the INternational Colportage
                Mission) Englishman in Ojibway is shauguhnaushuhkee, with allowances for
                spelling as compared modern written Ojibway. If the suffix of que or qua is
                added that makes the word feminine.

                Now, for homework, I want you all to find the equivalent in Iroquoian.
                :-)

                Regards
                Lorina
                supplies