Fw: Help Needed - Lundy's Lane 200th Commemoration

  • Tom Fournier
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 16, 2014

      Good morning List!

      I have posted this to the Crown Forces commander list but do think it is worth sending to a wider audience as well.

      Next Friday, the 25th of July will mark the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Lundy's Lane.  Every year, there has been a ceremony at the monument in the Drummond Hill Cemetary on the Sunday closest to the battle date.  Kevin Windsor had always ensured that reenactors have been there to help commemorate the memory and the services of those that we seek to represent.  Due to his relocation and conflicts, Kevin is not able to do this for 2014.

      This year, the commemoration will fall on the actual date, the Friday.

      To mark the bicentenary, there will be a considerable amount of programming that evening but I still see an opportunity for reenactors to have their own contributions to the commemoration.

      Complete details of the event can be found at:  http://niagarafallsmuseums.ca/events/lundyslane200.aspx

      What I am proposing is that we post an honour guard at each side of the monument beginning at 6:00 p.m. and running until 9:00 or 9:30 (or however long people feel motivated to stay).  We can establish a rest/cool down area and rotate parties through to be the honour guard.

      With enough numbers, we will send a party down to the main commemoration at the school yard where the ceremonies will take place this year.

      I think many people are disappointed by the recent announcement by the City of Niagara Falls.  I think the same feeling is held by many of the organizers of this event.  It is important to not let these feelings take away from an important opportunity to commemorate those whose memory we represent.

      I am trying to firm up parking for reenactors and also to see if we can setup the 41st Regiment fly on the grounds to serve as shelter and also the rest/cool down station.

      Individuals can contact me at tom4141fournier@... and I can communicate further details and plans to them.

      British, Canadian, American and Native impressions are all welcome.  Ideal would be somewhere around 10 to 15 soldiers.

      Thank you for your consideration,

      Tom

      Tom Fournier
      41st Regiment of Foot

    • Kevin Windsor
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 16, 2014
        Thanks Tom!
        Remember folks we do this to honour those who came before us. British, American, First Nation or Canadian. In the ground all are equal. Please remember that the commemorative integrity of the site and what happened there is why you should go. That may not speak volumes to politicians but that's not why we do this is it?

        Jim I have to take a rain check on that cigar.

      • a10rca
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2014

          Thanks Kevin

          Should have happened at Chippawa but I forgot the Cubans.

          This is a nice continuation of efforts at the Lundy's Lane site in the Drummond Hill cemetery.

          Just a reminder:

          Friday July 25th 2014, you are welcome to join in the short march to Drummond Hill and the site of the Battle of Lundy's Lane.

          We will be gathering at two points at 7:30 pm (1930hrs) on the Friday evening in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

          Redcoats at Oakes Park, 5700 Morrison Street (yes, named after CO of the 89th Foot) on the corner of Stanley  Avenue (not the Cup Guy) in Niagara Falls, Ontario.  They are looking for Redcoats.  You might be a Glengarry, or a militiaman or a Lithuanian Tartar in Napoleon's Army, and no one will turn you away, but they would like Redcoats.

          Blue Jackets of the United States Army will gather at the Niagara College Campus at 5881 Dunn Street in Niagara Falls, Ontario.   They are looking for Blue Jackets.  You might be a Rifleman or a Seneca warrior named Red Jacket or in the 1st Brigade of the Left Division of the 9th Military District of the United States Army, but they would like Blue Jackets.

          We will greet the walkers in their t-shirts with respective colours (colors)  and reenactors will lead the groups as they step off at 8:30pm (2030hrs).

          Upon arriving at Drummond Hill, you will be asked to participate in a play that starts at 9:15pm.   A handful of cartridges will be handy.  If you haven't been to the battlefield in some time, there have been interesting changes and hopefully more in the future.  This should wrap up by 10:00pm.

          (then we're storming the Maple Leaf Tavern for some beverages and Country & Western Music.)

          If you have questions, feel free to contact Jim Hill through this means.

          or

          For more information check out:

           200th Anniversary of Lundy's Lane | Niagara Falls History Museum - City of Niagara Falls